UKC

Redrilling Skis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dutybooty 29 Nov 2013

Hi all,

I'm mainly a climber more than a skiier. Been on two ski-touring holidays but mostly my skiing is to give me access to climbs.

I bought a beat up old set of dynafit bindings and skis for less than £100 all in for a trip I'm about to go on. Just because they're light and shall give me access to the climbs. The dynafit bindings are drilled a bit too big for my boot.

Will it irreparably damage the skis in some way which I cannot forsee other than leaving a few small holes in the top?

I was planning to get a shop to do the mounting, either Lockwoods or Big Dicks Board store.

Cheers

Ash
 galpinos 29 Nov 2013
In reply to dutybooty:

Re-drilling is fine as long as the new holes aren't to close to the old ones. Multiple re-drillings do weaken the skis when they start looking like swiss cheese but it's surprising how much the ski can cope with. The shop should know all this and also fill the old holes with plugs and seal them otherwise the core will get damp and degrade.
 Oceanic 29 Nov 2013
In reply to dutybooty:

Dynafits are very sensitive to being mounted wrongly, so it's important to get them mounted by someone who knows what they are doing.

Your profile says that you are in Chesterfield. If that's the case your best bet would be The Piste Office in Nottingham.
 Guy 29 Nov 2013
In reply to dutybooty: I can recommend the Piste Office, top rate work and a fountain of knowledge.

OP dutybooty 29 Nov 2013
In reply to Oceanic:

Never come across the piste office before! Never really trusted big dicks for ski-touring stuff, they seem rather much like a piste only store.

Lockwoods is a really long drive away.

Just rang him up and going to drop them off later for him to fix over the weekend!

Thanks all,

Ash
 Gael Force 29 Nov 2013
In reply to dutybooty:

Be wary of Dynafit if your not that good a skier, there are release issues… numerous threads about it and differences of opinion, but no doubt there are issues, hence they don't get a proper DIN grading
OP dutybooty 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Gael Force:

They're mostly approach skis...a few ski descents but nothing serious planned for these.

Also, I'm not a terrible skiier, just not dropping near vertical lines in narrow couloirs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...