/ Visor for Grivel Salamander?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
neilwiltshire on 03 Dec 2013
Hi,

Is there a better option for a visor to go with the Grivel Salamander helmet? Looking at the official one its just a peak like a baseball cap which wouldn't protect me from an adze to the eye when one of my tools pops off a small hold.

I'm guessing the only other option is ski goggles but thought I'd see if anyone else has any ideas.

Cheers,

Neil.
nniff - on 03 Dec 2013
In reply to neilwiltshire:

I've got one and think it's excellent. It deflects spindrift and other rubbish well and keeps it out of your eyes. If a big bit hits it, it folds down like a shield across your face.

If you're out-and-out dry tooling and are liable to bang an axe into your face without the chance to duck your face a bit, then you'd be better off with the gladiator-style wire mask that they also do.

Some people say slings get stuck on them, but I've never had a problem at all.

I've got a nice lightweight helmet too, but in winter I'll always cart the heavier one with its visor up the the hill in preference .

Well yeah I'm thinking more about indoor dry tooling which I'll probably be doing weekly throughout the winter season. I've never particularly felt a need for eye protection outdoors but have some tinted goggles for when the weather becomes a factor.

These tinted goggles are what I'm using indoors right now but stop me from being able to tell the difference between the various colours of the holds!

I think clear goggles are going to be the way to go.
Martin W on 03 Dec 2013
In reply to neilwiltshire: Having hit myself in the mouth with the hammer when an axe popped out of a placement unexpectedly*, I don't think ski goggles would do much to stop a adze heading at similar speed towards your eye. I'd at least use polycarbonate safety glasses - the basic models from Screwfix are very cheap, and for a few more pennies you can get something a bit more stylish if you feel the need.

* I now have a gumshield to give my teeth some protection, but the gladiator-style cage sounds like the ultimate solution, albeit at the risk of looking a bit OTT.

Good idea, I hadn't thought of normal safety goggles. Though I must say my ski goggles did provide sufficient protection last night when I adzed myself!
nniff - on 04 Dec 2013

In which case plan B might be to cut and fit a tennis ball to each axe
ads.ukclimbing.com
Dave Perry - on 04 Dec 2013

Why not try a chainsaw helmet/visor. You'll still look a prat but what the. Heck!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.