UKC

Visor for Grivel Salamander?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neilwiltshire 03 Dec 2013
Hi,

Is there a better option for a visor to go with the Grivel Salamander helmet? Looking at the official one its just a peak like a baseball cap which wouldn't protect me from an adze to the eye when one of my tools pops off a small hold.

I'm guessing the only other option is ski goggles but thought I'd see if anyone else has any ideas.

Cheers,

Neil.
 nniff 03 Dec 2013
In reply to neilwiltshire:

I've got one and think it's excellent. It deflects spindrift and other rubbish well and keeps it out of your eyes. If a big bit hits it, it folds down like a shield across your face.

If you're out-and-out dry tooling and are liable to bang an axe into your face without the chance to duck your face a bit, then you'd be better off with the gladiator-style wire mask that they also do.

Some people say slings get stuck on them, but I've never had a problem at all.

I've got a nice lightweight helmet too, but in winter I'll always cart the heavier one with its visor up the the hill in preference .
OP neilwiltshire 03 Dec 2013

Well yeah I'm thinking more about indoor dry tooling which I'll probably be doing weekly throughout the winter season. I've never particularly felt a need for eye protection outdoors but have some tinted goggles for when the weather becomes a factor.

These tinted goggles are what I'm using indoors right now but stop me from being able to tell the difference between the various colours of the holds!

I think clear goggles are going to be the way to go.
 Martin W 03 Dec 2013
In reply to neilwiltshire: Having hit myself in the mouth with the hammer when an axe popped out of a placement unexpectedly*, I don't think ski goggles would do much to stop a adze heading at similar speed towards your eye. I'd at least use polycarbonate safety glasses - the basic models from Screwfix are very cheap, and for a few more pennies you can get something a bit more stylish if you feel the need.

* I now have a gumshield to give my teeth some protection, but the gladiator-style cage sounds like the ultimate solution, albeit at the risk of looking a bit OTT.
OP neilwiltshire 03 Dec 2013

Good idea, I hadn't thought of normal safety goggles. Though I must say my ski goggles did provide sufficient protection last night when I adzed myself!
 nniff 04 Dec 2013

In which case plan B might be to cut and fit a tennis ball to each axe
 Billhook 04 Dec 2013

Why not try a chainsaw helmet/visor. You'll still look a prat but what the. Heck!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...