UKC

Thors cave, pushing my limit?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 spud_23 03 Dec 2013
Never climbed outdoors... Regularly boulder v4 And lead f6+ indoors, is thors cave likely to be above my ability?
 UKB Shark 03 Dec 2013
In reply to spud_23:

Only one way to find out
 Wesley Orvis 03 Dec 2013
In reply to spud_23: it's only a grade3 scramble I thought.

martinph78 03 Dec 2013
In reply to shark:

Agree. Let us know how you get on.

andi turner 04 Dec 2013
In reply to spud_23:

The sports routes start at about 7b, the trad ones at adventurous HVS. It'll likely be wet until May too. So I don't think it's the best idea just yet
 Os_878 04 Dec 2013
In reply to spud_23:

The sport routes are the top end of the 7 grades, havent tried the trad but take a head torch (decent one).
 Al Evans 04 Dec 2013
In reply to Os_878:

You don't need a headtorch for West Window Groove, or any other of the trad routes I would have thought.
 GridNorth 04 Dec 2013
In reply to spud_23:

The vast majority of climbers I know who started indoors find that their grade drops considerably when they venture outdoors. For example one guy who climbed 6c indoors fell off a f6a several times when I took him outdoors. Going trad tends to be even more problematical. But as someone has said there is only one way to find out.
 Dave Garnett 04 Dec 2013
In reply to spud_23:
> Never climbed outdoors...

I know it seems a bit scary but why don't you just go for it and pick a nice sunny crag without a roof?
OP spud_23 04 Dec 2013
Thanks all.. Only picked it because I know the area well. Sounds like I just need to grow a pair and. Get on with it!

UKB Shark 04 Dec 2013
In reply to spud_23:

Thought you were trolling because Thor's is a such an obviously bad venue for a beginner.

Beeston Tor nearby would be better if you want something close by but generally the gritstone edges such as the Roaches are a great place to start climbing outdoors.
OP spud_23 04 Dec 2013
In reply to shark:

No not trolling.. Did my BEL in wetton and still walk the area regularly.
And Iv had a look at Beeston tor that was the other choice if thors was a bit much.
 Al Evans 05 Dec 2013
In reply to spud_23:

You know they made a feature film in Thors Cave starring Hugh Grant.
Details here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lair_of_the_White_Worm_(film)
Removed User 11 Dec 2013
In reply to spud_23:

Wet limestone is not a good idea,as someone else already said try the Roches and Hen Cloud.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...