UKC

South Africa sport

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cheese Monkey 07 Dec 2013
Hi guys, in the process of planning our honeymoon and looking to do some sport climbing in SA. Would love to do some trad but my fiance doesnt like the faff and the airlines dont like the baggage. We will be there in June (I know its not the best time). Waterval Boven looks awesome, but if anyone has any personal recommendations that would be great. A good spread of grades is best, from 5-7a+.

Also any tips on diving sites/operators would be great if you got them. The sardine run looks amazing.

Cheers

Ben
 TimhNorthBASE 07 Dec 2013
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

Waterval boven is amazing, so much stuff raelly cool setting and the camp site is really cool, there is some good multipitch climbing at welingtons dome a few hours from joburg.
 eugeneth 07 Dec 2013

Hi. There is loads of sport climbing all over the country. June is not a bad time to climb as the weather is cool but not too cold. Winter in SA is pretty mild, a bit like spain.

Boven is an excellent spot near(ish) Joburg. The western cape (cape town) area has loads of sport climbs of all grades. In the city there are many areas like silvermine, the mine, peers cave and kalk bay, etc. You also have sport in the rocklands as well as bouldering. There is also montague (about 1.5 hours from CT). They are all ace areas with loads of routes. Check out the SA climbing database: http://www.climbing.co.za/wiki/South_African_Climbing_Wiki

On the note of the sardine run/dive trips, my bro's wife organises safaris, accomodation and can organise trips like that (as far as I am aware) for folk visiting SA and other parts of africa. I could put you in touch if you want to organise something. Feel free to PM me with any questions

Hope you enjoy the country and your honeymoon
Removed User 08 Dec 2013

June is winter in here in SA at Watefall Boven you get dry winters so you will not get any rain. Sunny days but clear cold nights.

In the western cape we get wet winter's but not that cold. You get cold fronts coming through bringing rain the you get a dry period. Montagu is usually drier and warmer than Cape Town. I don't think I lost many days climbing this June and i usually get out twice a week.

So for dry climbing go to Boven, but for a better allround holiday experince come to Cape Town
Kipper 08 Dec 2013
In reply to Removed User:

> So for dry climbing go to Boven, but for a better allround holiday experince come to Cape Town

This is good advice (particularly on a honeymoon) - Waterval Boven might be great climbing, but it's not a Cape Town for a holiday destination.

Chad123 09 Dec 2013

Brilliant place SA, great spot for a honeymoon. Where you go depends how long you've got all in all. We went in July for a month and flew to Jo-burg then drove round to Cape Town, via Kruger, Drakensburg, Jeffreys Bay etc, then onto Cape Town and up to Rocklands and Cederburg. Flying out of Cape Town. Great country for seeing more of if you have time, lots of people just do Cape Town which is great but places like Kruger and the Drakensburg are stunning. Waterfall Boven was best sport climbing we found and very scenic, some of the Cederburg stuff also pretty good. If you like bouldering (and travelling light, they hire pads) Rocklands is world class. Table mountain is brilliant too but trad alas. We were disappointed with Montagu compared to other areas, but Hellfire was great fun. Certainly most options around Cape Town if time is short and/or you don't like lots of driving.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...