UKC

Visiting Romania

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kelloggs77 08 Dec 2013
I am taking a trip to Romania for 8-9 days in at the start of Jan and wondered if anyone has much experience of the country. Looking to get out into the hills for any form of activity along side a bit of cultural exploration. Any advice?
 Red Rover 08 Dec 2013
In reply to Kelloggs77:

Romania has fantastic mountains and some of the only true wilderness in europe, but it will be under a lot of snow in January. The best part of the country for culture is Transylvania in the north, cities like Sibiu and Sigisoara are great. Avoid the tourist trap 'Draculas castles' and get out into some of the random castles and fortified churches in the countryside.
OP Kelloggs77 08 Dec 2013
In reply to Red Rover:
Thanks. Any views on any peaks that might be doable and also the cost of trains? Worth buying a pass?
 Red Rover 08 Dec 2013
In reply to Kelloggs77:

The trains are dirt cheap (like most things in Romania) but very slow. A 150 mile journey took me 8 hours. I dont know much about the mountaineering options, if youre into winter climbing then a lot of the peaks will be doable, with some good ridges, if you can get there. The town of Brasov is a nice place, it's in the mountains with some skiing, and the bears come down into town at night to go through the bins. If you bump into one at night and take a photo then make sure the flash is off because it sends them mental.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...