UKC

Climbing/Scrambling in NZ - Canterbury area.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 STWright 08 Dec 2013
Just wondering if anyone has been climbing/scrambling/mountaineering in the Canterbury area of NZ? My Fiancee and I are heading there this Christmas and hoping to get something done, even if it's just some nice easy ridges etc.

Cheers Si.
 KiwiPrincess 09 Dec 2013
In reply to STWright:

Climber.co.nz has a forum,
The climb NZ tag at top takes you a routes data base, you can search by area.

Canterbury has lots of places within a few hours.
I LOVE the trad at Mt Somers
I haven't done much else up that way other than bouldering at Castle hill, and a bit of sport climbing to advise you further
 Ban1 09 Dec 2013
I loved climbing cattle stop crag. Normally dries out real quick but you notice NZ is mostly sport climbing. If you go to the YMCA on cashel street they have great climbs and awesome social side that will happily give you the news and current conditions of the crags

damowilk 09 Dec 2013
In reply to STWright:

In or near Christchurch and currently open are: Cattle Stop, Transmitter, Albert Terrace, The Cave, Gibratar. Soon to open possibly: Lyttleton, Rapaki and a few others.
Further away on the Penisula: Coffin Rock, Crystal, Fantasy Factory, Holmes Bay (good trad cracks) and quite a few others.
Then the previously mentioned Mt Somers, some trad near Timaru, and Alpine Rock in Arthurs Pass.
I like Transmitter for a quick fix from the City, some decent routes, nearly all sport.
ruarigh 27 Dec 2013
In reply to STWright:

If you are after a longer scramble and a ridge walk Avalanche peak to Mt Bealey is a good day trip from Arthur's Pass. When descending off Mt Bealey an alternative to the Mt Bealey track is to descend correct scree slope just east of pt 1760 in to Rough Ceeek, the first scree slope you come across is not advised.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...