UKC

Achillies Pain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hdog76 10 Dec 2013
Problem...

I cycle 3-4 times a week and have done for sometime (many years), I also run at least 1-2 times a week, with periods of long off road runs for mountain marathons and adventure races (increasing weekly mileage accordingly).

I have recently been getting Achillies pain gradually increasing and now have a lump on the tendon around the area that was causing pain, I have iced it and can keep it moving.

My question is has any one had a simular thing, my research seems to point to pedals and cleats which appear to be isolating calf muscles and putting strain on the tendon, if so has anyone got suggesstions for an alternative to shimano cleats.

I dont do rest very well so am looking for alternatives to rest and stay fit.

Any Ideas would be helpful.

Matt
In reply to hdog76:

Sounds like it *could* be achilles tendonitis. Or maybe tendonosis. I'm almost a year into mine and would urge you to stop everything and get down to the physio for a proper assessment. If you make it worse you could be looking at a very long layoff. I'd also suggest seeing a podiatrist, but maybe see what the physio says first. You might end up with a boring stretching regime and maybe even orthotic insoles, but it beats being too crippled to do any exercise on foot.

There are one or two existing threads on achilles problems with loads more detailed advice.
In reply to hdog76:

Could be a bakers cyst as a result of a sprain?
OP hdog76 10 Dec 2013
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Thanks thats helpfull, not what I want to hear but usefull.
OP hdog76 10 Dec 2013
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

.. there was no trauma to the anknle, thats why it has been frustrating if it had been an injury like that I could have pin pointed it.
 cousin nick 11 Dec 2013
In reply to hdog76:

Matt,
I have had Achilles problems, once after a 100k sportive and more recently on day 2 of JOGLE. The first time was bad - I couldn't even put weight on that leg. Fortunately on JOGLE it was much less severe.
I have put it down to the specific shoes I was wearing. Both Achilles probs occurred while wearing my Bontrager shoes. I have had no problems whatsoever when wearing my Shimano shoes (on other 100k+ rides). In fact on JOGLE, after the problem arose and I swapped shoes, I was able to continue without it getting worse. Consequently the Bonts are condemned to short trips only now.
I don't think it is down specifically to the MAKE of shoes, but rather how the whole pedal/cleat/shoe/foot combo works. FWIW the sole of the Bontrager shoe is markedly more flexible than that of the Shimano..
Ice and lots of stretching helps recovery.
N
 Skol 11 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Well, you can get cysts on any ligament in the body. They are usually ganglion cysts, but if they are around the back of the knee then yes you are right they are called Bakers cysts. There is no difference in the type as far as I know, just the name.

It's worth checking because you don't have to have a massive blow-out to develop a cyst. It could have developed over time.
Page 13 Jan 2014
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Do you even know where the Achilles is?

Amusing read. I particularly enjoyed the highlight of pedals and cleats appearing to isolate the calf muscles, putting strain on the tendon. Who'd have thought it? Could try pedalling using your heels i suppose.
In reply to Page:

Achilles? Isn't he from Greece?
In reply to hdog76:

I had a similar issue (no lump tho) after a few 50 odd mile rides the other week, a quick look on t'internet and a chat with a physio mate recomended dropping the saddle height to reduce stress on the achillies. Seems to have fixed it.. I also concentrate on ensuring that I'm not over stretching this while riding (i.e. not dropping my heel)....

Dunno if this will work for you - I'm thinking of getting a RETUL bike fit for my current steed as I'm sure that there's a million little things that could, over time, cause issues like this...

Shuttsie 16 Jan 2014
In reply to hdog76:

I have the same thing, resulting from same activities cycling, running.

It is tight calf muscles apparently, hence over stressing the achillies.

Try regular calf & gastrocnemious stretches.

Good luck x
 zukator 22 Jan 2014
In reply to hdog76:

Hi, I sympathise with your problem - having pulled my Achilles tendon six months ago whilst trying barefoot running on the beach, having read 'Born to Run' and rather naively accepting the basic premise of the book. I've found using flat pedals (DMR Vaults) and a pair of Five-Ten mountain biking shoes works for me when I'm on the bike, but you still have to be very careful when stopping and putting your affected foot down, or falling on that side.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...