UKC

Hanging ropes up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iamaclimber 10 Dec 2013
Hi

I hang my ropes on a hook which is drilled into the wall. I hang them by a single loop of the rope. I was wondering if this could 'damage' the ropes over time, as all the weight of the rope is pulling down on that one loop and onto the thin metal of the hook. It does seem to flatten that area over time, but I would imagine it is more the sheath than the core that it getting flattened.

What do you think?
 Bob 10 Dec 2013
In reply to iamaclimber:

Dunno, if you are that worried about it then get a short length of cord, tie a loop in both ends and clip one loop to the hook then take it round the rope and clip the other loop to the hook.
 CurlyStevo 10 Dec 2013
In reply to iamaclimber:

I wouldn't be worried.

I also don't worry about drying my ropes be hanging them up (rather than laying them flat) or storing them coiled. IMO there are much bigger worries rock climbing than this sort of stuff.

iamaclimber 10 Dec 2013
In reply to Bob:

Not a bad idea. Thanks.
iamaclimber 10 Dec 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> I wouldn't be worried.

> I also don't worry about drying my ropes be hanging them up (rather than laying them flat) or storing them coiled. IMO there are much bigger worries rock climbing than this sort of stuff.

Yes, you're probably right.
 NottsRich 10 Dec 2013
In reply to iamaclimber:

If you use the ropes regularly then it'll be a different bit of the rope in contact with the hook every few days. That's an excuse to go climbing more!

I wouldn't worry about it personally, FWIW. You could pad the hook a little? Or the advice of using a strap/cord as mentioned above would be good too.
 CurlyStevo 10 Dec 2013
In reply to iamaclimber:

is the flat spot permanent? if yes does the rope core feel soft or hard?

if the rope seems ok I wouldnt worry. however on going personally id hang ths rope on something a bit kinder to it.
 butteredfrog 10 Dec 2013
In reply to iamaclimber:

Piece of garden hose over the hook?
iamaclimber 13 Dec 2013
In reply to iamaclimber:

Thanks all
In reply to iamaclimber:

Piece of plumbers' pipe insulation ?
 Morgan Woods 13 Dec 2013
In reply to iamaclimber:

> What do you think?

I think you must have a lot of time on your hands to be able to worry about something like that!
 FreshSlate 13 Dec 2013
In reply to iamaclimber:

Hang it up in a rope bag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...