UKC

Turkey climbing - KAS / also cash questions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Heike 11 Dec 2013
Hello, we are off to Geyikbayiri for xmas and new year for a couple of weeks. Looking at going elswhere for a day or two. Anyone been to Kas? Looks nice. Also, are there are any cash machines close to Geyikbayiri? We brought lots of cash last time, but would prefer to not carry about too much this time.
Cheers
Heike
 Big Steve 12 Dec 2013
In reply to Heike:
The exchange rate is fantastic at the moment, the best I can remember it, so if I were you I would exchange my money before leaving with an online FX company, not a travel agent or at the airport. I dont think there are any cash machines near Geyikbayire, at least I do not remember any. There are plenty in Antalya city and at the airport, change money at the airport though and you will probably pay commission.

Unless I am confusing Kas with another town with the same name, it will be a long drive from Antalya. I have never been there though so cant comment.

Have you been to Olympos? walking round the ruins is a great way to spend freetime, (climbing is good as well) or Phaselis near Kemer is nice for a couple of hours. Or, how about the cable car to Tahtali summit (the highest peak you will see towering above the whole coastline). If the top is cloud free, it is a great trip. A day spent walking around the old town in Antalya is a lovely way to spend a day, the harbour is beautiful, nice restaurants and the archaeology museum.

There is some good stuff on my website page, all needs updating but still ok:

http://www.myturkishadventure.com/antalya-rock-climbing.html
Post edited at 12:38
OP Heike 12 Dec 2013
In reply to Big Steve:
thanks for that info! We have thought about going to olympos for a day or so for climbing, having a look and swimming as we only stayed near Geyikbayiri last time, but that Kas place looked also quite good with tufas etc, looks like it is further than Olympos though hence my question. Might be a bit far

Cheers again,
Heike
Post edited at 12:57
 jugpuller 13 Dec 2013
In reply to Heike:

Kas is a genuine laid back little resort town, compared to Kalkan nearby that seems to be sinking under ex pat and villa development.

Kas doesn't have a beach but there are regular boats to the Liman nearby. Many of the budget pensions have gardens that lead to steps into the sea. Try Pansyion Gulsen.

Sorry don't know anything about the climbing.
 andy healey 13 Dec 2013
In reply to Heike:
We stayed in Kisla (probably incorrect spelling) near Kalkan, near Kas,in the summer.

Kaputas beach has a small amount of bouldering and a nice long and very easy dws traverse. I believe there's also some bolted routes in a gorge next to the beach but didnt check them out.

There's a big gorge (Saklikent,2nd biggest in Europe after Verdun) thats a nice option for a rest day. Walk several km into the gorge and do some sliding down mini-waterfalls then fresh caught trout and inner-tubing afterwards.
Post edited at 17:01

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...