UKC

USA Car Hire Insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 15 Dec 2013
I'm planning a climbing trip to the USA, with a friend who lives over there.

He has booked a car to hire, and will pick me up from the airport.
His own personal Travel Insurance apparently (from his employer) covers him.
But I need insurance to cover me as a second driver.
I don't have car insurance in this country, I don't have a car at present, but I do have a license. I have given the company my license details, but they say I need insurance.
I am looking for short term insurance for this, but it doesn't seem to exist, whenever I find something it turns out to be just 'excess' insurance.

Is there a 'default' insurance provided with the car?
I'm sure there's a simple answer, but I can't figure it out.

Cheers
Confused dot com.

dsh 15 Dec 2013
In reply to Fredt:
In the USA you can be covered under your own insurance which is why the car hire insurance is so confusing.

The quoted prices won't include insurance. Or they might include third party only. If they do include insurance it might have a massive excess.

You need to get the terms and conditions of the hire to find out exactly what it covers. If you get loss damage waiver and collision damage waiver included that is good but check the loss includes theft and the excesses.

You can get full insurance and damage waiver from who you hire of although it will probably double what you are paying. Third party excess insurance is usually cheaper.

I found this out when hiring in the USA and we had to pay at the office as we didn't realise it wasn't included. Everyone thought it would be but it is usually included on their car insurance. It doubled the cost (Enterprise) but on the plus side they switched out our car when we got a puncture for no extra cost. Not all insurance will include tyre damage. Now when we go my wife (US Citizen) is usually the primary driver and we use her insurance. They usually accept me being covered as the second driver no problem. So check with your friend's insurance company.
Post edited at 13:13
oggi 15 Dec 2013
In reply to Fredt:

Google for Car Hire Insurance and you will find it is substantially cheaper than that supplied with hire cars. We have annual cover as we hire regularly.
OP Fredt 15 Dec 2013
In reply to oggi:

> Google for Car Hire Insurance and you will find it is substantially cheaper than that supplied with hire cars. We have annual cover as we hire regularly.

Did that, still can't find one. They all just seem to deal in 'Excess' insurance.
What company do you use?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...