UKC

Sky doping?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Scomuir 17 Dec 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Have you actually read the article? If you had, you should think again about your thread topic wording.
In reply to Scomuir:

Yes, true. Though I don't think one can amend that, can one?

I doubt various internet commentators will be so scrupulous, anyway.

jcm
 FreshSlate 17 Dec 2013

Including yourself of course.
 lost1977 17 Dec 2013

I want to know more about this anomaly pretty sure i know what it is
 TimB 17 Dec 2013

More like Sky not doping, shurely?

Anyway, it's all a bit confusing. reading the two articles on the cyclingnews front page seems to say:

JTL was tested, and/or supplied data to Garmin and Sky in 2012 before the Tour of Britain. These values were OK enough for Sky to sign him, an offer that was made before the ToB.

The UCI started testing him AFTER the Tour of Britain : late 2012 and 2013 whilst with Sky.

The UCI's expert has now decided that the 2012 data (post-ToB) looks dodgy compared to his 2013 passport data.

Coincidentally, his 2013 results whilst riding for Sky have been pretty poor. Dire compared to 2012.

So...

cynics would say that he was on the sauce throughout 2012 which explains how he won so much, then stopped after signing for Sky (thus explaining the lack of performance in 2013).

But that would mean that he managed (on his own, or with help from a dodgy doctor) to provide Sky with reasonable grounds to believe that he was clean. A subterfuge that has now been uncovered by the UCI of all people.

lost1977 17 Dec 2013

> But that would mean that he managed (on his own, or with help from a dodgy doctor) to provide Sky with reasonable grounds to believe that he was clean. A subterfuge that has now been uncovered by the UCI of all people.

Couldn't have been done without help from others
 tim000 17 Dec 2013

UCI only put him on the biological passport after his win in the tour of britain. there was very little data from this when he sign for sky. it`s only when you compare it to the data from 2013 after he joined sky that it looks dodgy. it`s the data soon after he was put on the passport that was high , not when he was at sky.
 sleavesley 17 Dec 2013
In reply to tim000:

He had asked the UCI to be put on the biological passport prior to this with JTL condor stating they would pay for this.
He was very ill at an early point with sky from what I remember, which may be of relevance in this case.

Not giving excuses but a bit more perspective than the usual assumption as it's cycling he is automatically guilty of having doped
 tim000 17 Dec 2013
In reply to sleavesley:

i agree . has had illness that could have affected his blood . i was refering to the sky doping comment. if anything this puts sky in a good light . as it`s the blood levels after he joined sky that make the 2012 levels look high.
 JamButty 19 Dec 2013

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cycling/25438165

Makes things more interesting for Sky....ex rider.....

Chris the Tall 19 Dec 2013
In reply to JamButty:

Wada issued a warning a month ago

http://www.wada-ama.org/en/media-center/archives/articles/athletes-must-sho...

So even if we believe it was accidental, Rogers doesn't have a defence. Will be interesting to compare the quantity detected with that of Berties, and maybe it's time to introduce a threshold, but that won't change this case.

As with JTL, certain people will inevitably try and tarnish Team Sky, but it's a bit stupid and pathetic really.
 Mike Highbury 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> As with JTL, certain people will inevitably try and tarnish Team Sky, but it's a bit stupid and pathetic really.

A bit stupid, you reckon? Sky brought both of them into their team. One, MR, had spent much of his career teetering on the edge and the other, JLT, whom few found overwhelming.

It brings us back to where we were last Winter when Sky cleaned out its stables but then hired JLT. Not guilty, just thick.
Post edited at 14:41
 reckless_rat 19 Dec 2013

so you think Sky dopes then ?
 DaveHK 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Mike Highbury:

> Not guilty, just thick.

Or just the natural outcome of being in a sport with a lot of doping.

It's completely unrealistic to expect everyone ever associated with Sky to be clean.

In reply to Chris the Tall:

Interesting the WADA have acknowledged that there is a known problem within the food supply chain in these countries.

What a good job that we have a well-regulated meat trade that ensures we know exactly what we're eating, and that there's no chance we're eating meat from unknown origins, or that might have been doped with banned substances. Hoorah for the Food Standards Agency and their European counterparts!

Oh, hang on...

Is clenbuterol actually likely to be useful to cyclists, does anyone know?

jcm
 Chris the Tall 20 Dec 2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clenbuterol

"It causes an increase in aerobic capacity, central nervous system stimulation, blood pressure, and oxygen transportation."

Also reputed to be Victoria Beckham's preferred weight loss drug
Jimbo W 20 Dec 2013

> Is clenbuterol actually likely to be useful to cyclists, does anyone know?

Theoretically yes, though that doesn't mean it is actually useful in practice when taking into account side effects.
In reply to Jimbo W:

Yes, well quite. It doesn't seem to be the drug of choice when ex-cyclists discuss what they were on.

jcm
 nw 20 Dec 2013

He lives!

> Is clenbuterol actually likely to be useful to cyclists, does anyone know?

> jcm

It seems that is sometimes used during training in the off season as it helps convert fat to muscle, which is obviously useful for cyclists. When it shows up in a blood sample during the racing season the most likely explanations are either contaminated meat or blood doping i.e. using some blood which was stored during training when the person concerned was using clenbuterol for its training benefits.
nedmoran 21 Dec 2013
In reply to Unknown Climber:

Lose fat and gain muscle. Fat can not be converted to muscle. I know a few bodybuilders who use this steroid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...