UKC

Posting ice tools

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 18 Dec 2013
Presumably someone here has had experience of posting a pair of ice tools? I'm thinking of selling a pair and I can bring them to the UK at Xmas, so it would most likely be UK to UK - but with their odd shape, is it expensive to post them - or is it done by weight just a like a "normal" shaped parcel?

If I can get an idea of price I can factor that into my asking price and cover p&p myself.

Cheers all.
 Lucy Wallace 18 Dec 2013
In reply to TobyA:
Done by weight, as far as I can recall from my gear shop days. Bubblewrap and cardboard origami are the order of the day.

You can calculate the cost on the Royal Mail website.
OP TobyA 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Snoweider:

Thanks Ms Snoweider! Will check out the RM website.
 nniff 18 Dec 2013
In reply to TobyA:

I just cut up a cardboard box and taped it back together to make a flatish new one. I filled the gaps with some newspaper to stop the axes clattering around and it went in the post as a normal parcel, charged by weight.
 Dan Lane 18 Dec 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Could you take the picks, adze and hammer off to make it a slightly more normal shape?
 dek 18 Dec 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Just whip the picks off, and duct tape to the shafts, pad the spike with more tape and bubble wrap. Wrap the lot in more bubble wrap, and brown paper, or a cardboard tube.
Roughly a tenner to send two tools, if I recall correctly?
OP TobyA 18 Dec 2013
In reply to dek:

> Roughly a tenner to send two tools, if I recall correctly?

Thanks dek, that's what I wanted to know. Thanks all.

If anyone is interested in some very reasonably priced great technical tools keep an eye on the premier posts soonish!
In reply to TobyA:

Don't forget that it can be cheaper to send via courior and will actually insure your parcel rather than offering a book of stamps as compensation for losing your package!
OP TobyA 18 Dec 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Cheers. Who have you used? Or is there a comparison website for couriers?
In reply to TobyA:

senditnow.com essentially parcel force but quite cheap and will collect from whereever you want!
 jkarran 18 Dec 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Dismantle them (assuming replaceable picks) and they're a simpler shape.
jk
 Big Rich 18 Dec 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Its done by weight and size - roughly around £10 for royal mail parcel force,

just sent an axe through post yesterday!
OP TobyA 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Big Rich:

Thanks Rich - I guess that was a tenner for one though? So I'm going to have double the weight.

...Just thinking, might be getting ahead of myself - not sure if anyone wants to buy them yet! Thanks again to all above.
 Nathan Adam 18 Dec 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Unhealthy amounts of bubble wrap and heavy duty plastic bags with lots and lots of tape.

Think it cost me £8 to post my Fly's from Lanarkshire to Oxford.
In reply to TobyA:

I sold a pair of tools last week. It cost £13 to courier them with Parcel Force.
 Blue Straggler 18 Dec 2013
In reply to TobyA:

> Thanks Rich - I guess that was a tenner for one though? So I'm going to have double the weight.

Nah, it's a non-linear scale. I paid about £8.70 to post a Grivel Matrix Light (didn't dismantle it, just cobbled together a bubblewrap-and-cardboard thing. Royal Mail. It was recorded delivery or special delivery - whichever one is the best value way to get insurance cover. I think it was covered for £400, I had a reference number. I just took it to the Post Office and sorted it there.
I imagine a pair would have been £12-13 as someone suggested, and not £17.40
 L.A. 18 Dec 2013
In reply to TobyA: If sending Parcelforce or Royal Mail to 'Prevent injury to Postmen carrying dangerous goods'(well thats what they told me !) the post office are now supposed to ask you what the parcel contains. Dont say axes! Tell them its a rucsac or something similar and softer.
About £11 to send a pair of axes in the UK

gethin_allen 18 Dec 2013
In reply to TobyA:

I paid £10 to have my axes posted to me and they were just stuffed into a large jiffy bag with a bit of extra bubble wrap around the picks and spikes.
I'd tell them it was climbing gear if they ask you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...