UKC

Wet Feet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chrisbussell 20 Dec 2013
So after riding home last night in rain, then snow then ice (it was a strange commute) I finally got home with very cold wet feet.

I wear pair of socks and overshoes (Endura) but this failed to keep out the elements and resulted in that frozen toes which hurt like hell once warming starts.

Anyone got any good recommendations for keeping feet drying and warmer.

Oh and this is road riding.

Thanks
Chris
johnj 20 Dec 2013
In reply to chrisbussell:

Seal skin type of socks, winter shoes, good thermal tights, winter overshoes, good mudguards with spray flap on front, and your feet will still get cold on long wet rides but the hot aches from hell aren't too bad that way.
 sleavesley 20 Dec 2013
Northwave go a number of goretex winter shoes. They cost a fair bit though around £135 you can get some for.
Have a look at artic GTX (yes really artic!)
And this years model is spelt correctly but take spd mtb only winter extreme.
OP chrisbussell 20 Dec 2013
In reply to sleavesley:
Thanks,

Must admit hadn't heard of or thought of Winter Shoes. Quick google search later and these could be the answer. Not cheap, but I ride a long commute to and from work and want to keep it up over winter + pleasure rides, so the expense maybe justified.

Just have to get that past the wife!
Post edited at 19:45
 andy 20 Dec 2013
In reply to chrisbussell: Winter boots are better than summer, but you'll still get water down the top - not found anything to stop that so far.

Brass Nipples 20 Dec 2013

Got winter boots for my commute in 2003. Last 9 years in the end so £100 / 9 = £11 a year. Bit less than fuel for same commute
 Chris the Tall 20 Dec 2013

Cheap solution - decathlon overshoes, about £12
Fairly cheap - seal skins , about £30
Expensive - northwave boots - about £100

Have to say I've not been that impressed with the boots, bit too stiff for my liking, particularly for winter mountain biking, but may be alright for commuting .

Likewise the overshoes don't work too well if you have to walk through snow, but do keep the rain out.

The socks keep your feet dry, but your shoes get wet.which may be a problem next day
 Timmd 20 Dec 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> The socks keep your feet dry, but your shoes get wet.which may be a problem next day

I can end up putting the waterproof socks back on to make my wet shoes w(b)earable if I'm not cycling the next day.

It's not an issue if I wear stretchy thin cycling socks inside them, but I guess it shortens the lifespan of my shoes.
Post edited at 23:53
 LastBoyScout 21 Dec 2013

I was lucky enough to bag a pair of Diadora Chilli Sport MTB shoes in a bike jumble for £25 and they've been great - they do road versions.

Quite a few on Chain Reaction Cycles and others from Mavic, Gaerne, Shimano, Northwave, etc, starting at just over £100.

I will seriously consider a pair next year when I start cycling to work.
 Ciderslider 21 Dec 2013

Use the car when it's really wet mate
 wilkesley 21 Dec 2013
In reply to Ciderslider:

For emergencies only. I have used a couple of supermarket carrier bags tied round my ankles with the handles. OK for short distances.
 nniff 21 Dec 2013
Endura neoprene overshoes are good, but when it's really tipping down nothing I've found stops them filling up with the water that runs down your legs. Over-trousers on a road bike aren't really the thing at all. I suppose gaffer tape around the top of neoprene shoe covers would work - an incentive to get the razor out perhaps?
Post edited at 17:37
 VS4b 22 Dec 2013
In reply to nniff:

Northwave Fahrenheit. Pricey, but worth it. Toasty warm too.
 Tom Hutton 23 Dec 2013

For the mtb I wear shimano goretex boots and then use drysuit ankle seals over the cuffs to stop water coming in. This works best with 3/4 length tights else the water comes in via the tights.

For the road bike, I just accept their gonna get wet but use thick wooly socks and thick overshoes. Wet but warm...

I also make sure both my feet and the shoes are dry and really warm when I put them on...
 cousin nick 23 Dec 2013
In reply to Tom Hutton:

+1 for the Shimano goretex MTB boots. Got mine half price in a sale.
N
 Tom Hutton 23 Dec 2013
In reply to cousin nick:
Definitely try them with some seals... I made little gaiters using a bit of innertube glued to the inside of the seal to go under my boot and pull them down. I have ridden all day and then driven home in the same socks...
 Henry Iddon 23 Dec 2013

May sound a bit odd ( and won't help in the wet) but when it's really cold I use 'gents' knee length lambswool socks. The extra insulation around your calves helps keep your feet warm - and being so thin they fit fine with cycle shoes and under winter tights.

http://www.aidansweeney.co.uk/products/71-wolsey-grip-top-knee-length-socks...

"Suits you sir"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...