UKC

The Pilgrim's Trail (BBC Scotland) - iPlayer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Douglas Griffin 27 Dec 2013
Cameron McNeish sails and walks between 2 major centres of early medieval Christianity in Scotland, Iona and Portmahomack.

Just watched part 1, which features a walking ascent of Ben More on Mull.

Available on iPlayer:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03mtr0w

Part 2 is on tonight (27/12/13), 18:30, BBC2 Scotland.
 pamph 27 Dec 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin:

I could only watch part 1 with the sound turned off....
llechwedd 28 Dec 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin:

Just finished watching both parts on iPlayer.
Was expecting not to enjoy it (well, a pilgrimage is meant to be an arduous experience),but it wasn't bad, and the countryside looked glorious.
Distilling his walk across Scotland down to two 30 minute programmes, it ended up feeling more 'the travel show' than 'Adventure Show' that it's been screened as.
I wasn't expecting Bear Grylls OTT hardship, but perhaps a bit more immersion in the experience of such a walk. Instead the places where he stopped along the way were threaded together with clips of him sauntering colourfully along with his walking poles out of kilter.
There were a selection of interesting folk met along the way, especially the Sunart guy and the Strathconon woman. Fiddle tunes and the revelation of Portmahomack at journey's end were an added bonus.
Mc Neish seems to have taken up the baton from Tom Weir in presenting hillgoer's Scotland on TV- a comparison that only holds if it's not the case that a book and a waymarked route will soon follow on from the programme.
 1poundSOCKS 28 Dec 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin: I watched part 1, really enjoyed it. I did the Camino de Santiago in 2010 and I'm looking forward to seeing it on the TV.

llechwedd 28 Dec 2013
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> I watched part 1, really enjoyed it. I did the Camino de Santiago in 2010 and I'm looking forward to seeing it on the TV.

There was a programme on TV recently about pilgrimage, presented by (I think) Simon Reeve. A bit of that was concerned with the Camino de Santiago.
 1poundSOCKS 28 Dec 2013
In reply to llechwedd: Am I getting confused? Watched one on iPlayer the other day, it had pilgrimage in the title. It had a guy carrying a huge wooden cross with a little wheel on the back.
llechwedd 28 Dec 2013
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Yep, confused.

That's the one I'd just flagged up for you, not the original subject of this post.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...