UKC

Ski touring & equipment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan Breck 30 Dec 2013
I don't ski but I have done quite a bit of Langlauf in the past. So two questions:

1) Is it worth learning how to ski solely for ski touring in Scotland? Bearing in mind, of course, that I'm over sixty.....but not yet checking out !!
2) If it might be feasible what's the likely cost of reasonable gear for a beginner? [NOTE: Not clothing. I've more than enough of that. Axes as well]
 Doug 30 Dec 2013
In reply to Alan Breck:

Have you skied away from prepared tracks ? if so when the snow is lying low there can be some good tours with no steep slopes needing no more skills than you probably already have (e.g. I've skied through Rothiemurchus to the head of Glen Einnich on lightwight skis without metal edges on a day of good snow cover).

But if you want to ski on the hills you really need to learn how to turn efficiently, not difficult, especially with modern gear, but takes time. If it worthwhile 'just' for Scotland ? if you live close to the Highlands, I'd say yes - I skied for several years in Scotland while living in Stirling & Aberdeen before I had the chance to ski elsewhere & had some great days out
OP Alan Breck 30 Dec 2013
In reply to Doug:
Have you skied away from prepared tracks ?.....Not much although it has been done. Does skating count?

Long long ago I even did a cross country ski race starting from Herons Field. Glenisla was fine even although Andy Main didn't always cut track.

Aviemore is just over 80 miles away. Glenshee not very far so yes "The Highlands" aint really a problem.
Post edited at 15:43
 deepstar 30 Dec 2013
In reply to Alan Breck: Dont let your age put you off,I`m 62 and really enjoy skiing although I wish I`d started earlier.You will always see people older than you having a great time.

Snowdave 30 Dec 2013
In reply to Alan Breck:

Depends on what gear you have & what you want to do. I had a similar dilemma a few years back. I have been X-country ski-ing (Back country, classic & skate) & was hitting a brick wall so to speak with ski-touring in Scotland. What did it for me was trying to over come the camber of the skis (Fisher E99 MTN crown) to do hop telemarks down a slope (hills behind Glenmore lodge). I got brassed off!!!!!

So I hired some "heavyweight" telemark kit from Mtn Spirit & tried various set-ups. That was the first good winter 2009/2010. I bought my own set-up for the winter of 2010-11 & have never looked back!!!

Pros; I can piste bash red runs either parallel or tele, I can climb steeper slopes with the skins & harscheisen, ski better off piste, & tackle the mountains.

Cons; flats & gentle uphill's are much slower due to gear weight & flexibility compared to a X-country set up! But due to X-country back ground I can still outpace my mates on their ski-mtn set ups! Experience & technique still count!

My set-up is 7TM power tour STI bindings, Trab Stelvio Freeride skis (I think), Scarpa T2eco boots, Black Diamond nylon skins, clothing & rucsac & everything else from my general climbing/walking kits. Although I did get special knee high log johns so not to bulk up the boots, & long lorpen ski-socks, very good set-up!
 Doug 30 Dec 2013
In reply to Snowdave:

Have you tried going back to your old skis/boots ? I found that I improved my technique using heavier telemark gear but when I went back to narrower skis/leather boots I had much more control than before, especially when the snow wasn't too difficult (crust, heavy but soft, etc).

To Alan
Sounds like you could manage some of the easier tours, especially on the more rounded hills in the east, you don't say where you live but there's likely a cross country skiing club nearby who might be helpful - I used to ski with the Inverness club from time to time & they seem still to be active (http://www.ibsc.org.uk/ )
OP Alan Breck 30 Dec 2013
Thanks. My telemark wasn't really ever of the best. More a heap of arms & legs. So heavier type gear would really be preferable for my level of "skill"

Slugain Howff 30 Dec 2013
In reply to Alan Breck:

I'd advise having a half day or 2 on the piste - if that works ok hire some touring gear (Braemar Mountain sports??) and have a gentle skin to the top of Glas Maol or similar and ski back to the car.

I live near Glenshee and would be happy to meet up.

S

Doug 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Slugain Howff:

If the snow is low enough, there can be some pleasant low level tours up into some of the glens - e.g. Glen Callater, Glen Ey, Glen Baddock just around Braemar and I've fond memories of skiing in the forest at Ballochbuie, either as part of a tour including summits such as the Stuic or Carn an Sagart Mor or just in the forest itself when the higher tops are storm bound.
 The Bushman 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Alan Breck:

Definitely learning to ski will change all your options and outlook on days out. You need to be able to be in control on descent, and you want to be it's great fun. Uphill is technique, lungs and legs. A pair of ski touring skis gives you the benefit of using same skis to learn to ski downhill and that's what you use on touring days out. Telemark might be difficult to learn std ski technique should serve you well. Seond hand gear( skis, bindings and skins) is available just need you to invest some time and money. Buy new boots as they will last you and the last thing you want is sore feet with secondhand boots.
OP Alan Breck 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Slugain Howff:

Thanks for the offer.....you might live to regret it!

but still got two questions if I'm to proceed:
1) Likely cost of the gear. Advice on specifics as well. Make/model of skis etc
2) Best place to go for instruction? Glenshee or Aviemore based on the premise that I'm not too keen on getting shown up by a smart seven year old !!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...