UKC

ecrins out of season

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 david100 01 Jan 2014
I want to go to the ecrins for walking and climbing but I would like to go out of season in early june to ensure I can vary itinerary. I do not want to hire a car just to drive to berarde or allefroide and leave it parked up for a week at the campsite. However I am struggling to find details of public transport in the area. Has anybody experience of the ecrins out of season. What is it like for supplies and getting around
altirando 02 Jan 2014
In reply to david100:

05voyageurs buslinks operates in the southern part of the Ecrins, might also have some indication on their website for ailefroide. There is of course a good train service to Briancon via Gap, also an excellent bus service from Grenoble station to Briancon via LaGrave.
 tehmarks 02 Jan 2014
In reply to david100:

I got the aforementioned train via Gap last year, from Marseille to l'Argentière-la-Bessée. From there you can easily hitch to Ailefroide, and there's also a bus service (but it's incredibly infrequent - think once per day). On the way back I managed to catch a bus in time for my train connection rather than hitching, but spent a good few hours in the nice coffee shop on the corner beside the station in l'Argentière.
 Martin Haworth 02 Jan 2014
In reply to david100: I dont think there are any buses running in Ailefroide that time of year but you shouldnt need them. One of the mini-market shops in Ailefroide opens early June so you can buy everything you need. You can access the mountain routes and walks from the village so no need to travel. It is a great time to go.

Richard Apps 02 Jan 2014
In reply to david100:
I've spent time in La Berarde about that time of year using public transport on a few occasions. The crucial connection is the 3040 bus from Bourg-d'Oisans (Google grenoble la berarde bus). Bourg can easily be reached from Grenoble by bus (3020 or 3030). There may be a bit of waiting around in the bus station for connections but nothing too onerous. If you plan it well, and are quick it's possible to do a supermarket run whilst waiting for the 3040 connection. La Berarde campsite is highly recommended, but the facilities in the village can be a bit limited in early June (Eateries might not be open). Likewise the village shop might not have fresh bread every day that early on, so a supermarket stock up in Bourg before arriving is definitely advised. Don't forget to visit La Cordée down in Saint Christophe at some point (if only to sample the myrtle tart).
Post edited at 10:30
altirando 02 Jan 2014
In reply to david100: Of course the regional tourist office in Gap can supply accurate uptodate info on your questions - phone or email. But I don't think I would like to be stuck up in LaBerarde without a car! Briancon might be a good choice as a bus centre. La Grave has plenty of shops and a gite. If walking is at least as important as climbing, think of the Champsaur valley behind Gap, StLeger perhaps.

Doug 02 Jan 2014
In reply to altirando:

I've been in both the Ecrins & the Queyras in May & June without a car, not much in the way of buses but very easy to hitch hike - the locals know the bus service isn't much good out of season
James Jackson 02 Jan 2014
In reply to Doug:

Same here - some lovely quiet times up in the mountains. Hitching is easy.
altirando 02 Jan 2014
In reply to david100:

Thought later, Vallouise might be your best bet, large village down the valley from Ailefroide, all services, probably regular bus service, just hitch up to Ailefroide, taxi, or walks from Vallouise.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...