UKC

Wiggo's beard

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 03 Jan 2014
 Enty 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Cool as if you ask me.

E

Removed User 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Enty:

> Cool as if you ask me.

> E

S'pose its better than is sideies but cant be too aerodynamic.
 Nigel Thomson 03 Jan 2014

I thought the Forfar's were bit of a trademark but the beard lookd good.
 kevin stephens 03 Jan 2014

Blimey it's Chuck Norris! Everything makes sense now!
 BelleVedere 03 Jan 2014

beards are cool
 r0b 03 Jan 2014

Luke Rowe's tash is a winner too: http://www.teamsky.com/profile/0,27291,17543_9082041,00.html
 andi turner 03 Jan 2014

6 foot 2 and 69 kilos, that's more incredible.
 r0b 03 Jan 2014
In reply to andi turner:

Not really, I'm 6 foot 1 and my "race weight" is 69kg, which doesn't take too much deprivation to reach. Just depends upon your body type.
 thebigeasy 03 Jan 2014

Don't think that he has read the rules!!
http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#50
andymac 03 Jan 2014

Think it looks good on him .

Better than the Weller mop and sideburns.

Good effort Brad.

Maturing like a fine wine.

The dodgiest beard I have encountered lately ,is Noel Edmonds effort on Deal or no Deal.

Like one of the villainous Thunderbirds puppets .
 The New NickB 03 Jan 2014
In reply to andi turner:

> 6 foot 2 and 69 kilos, that's more incredible.

That is slightly bulked up for the TT, he will be lighter if he ever does another Grand Tour.
andymac 03 Jan 2014

Wonder if Brad ever gets sick of listening to The Jam.

steev 03 Jan 2014

He looks like Booth Jonathan from the sitcom Girls.

It suits him.
 andi turner 03 Jan 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

> That is slightly bulked up for the TT, he will be lighter if he ever does another Grand Tour.

I think it's phenomenal, especially for someone who is sat down all day

I'm his age and height and neither fat, nor particularly bulky yet come in just under 90kg, I can't imagine being able to stand, let alone ride a million miles a week at 10 and half stone.
In reply to andi turner:
> I think it's phenomenal, especially for someone who is sat down all day

> I'm his age and height and neither fat, nor particularly bulky yet come in just under 90kg, I can't imagine being able to stand, let alone ride a million miles a week at 10 and half stone.

Well BMI, flawed as it is (although not as flawed as some people like to make out) suggests that Wiggins is a healthy weight and you are overweight. Where BMI is flawed is in relation to sports that require a bit of muscle, which may be the case for you.

I lost weight to be a better runner, loss of muscle has made me a weaker climber despite having to lift 10kg less.
Post edited at 17:35
wobble 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Removed UserFrank Boothe:

He looks fine to me, wouldn't you say that the majority of us are overweight ?

andi turner 03 Jan 2014
In reply to FrankBooth:

Oof, no not really! Wouldn't really want him backing me up in a scrap!
 andi turner 03 Jan 2014

That is just how ridiculously flawed it is. Being an emaciated, world class endurance athlete (where every pound makes the difference to your lap times, as opposed to your actual health as such) puts you into the 'ok' zone. I think I'd rather be over weight...
In reply to andi turner:

I don't think he is emaciated in the picture, just no excess fat or muscle, he is probably quite a bit less than 69kg that picture.
 andi turner 03 Jan 2014
In reply to wobble:

Depends what you class as overweight. I think perceptions are severely skewed. If being at a weight deemed satisfactory by a graph means that you have to become significantly weaker, then I don't think it's a good thing. If a doctor told me "Andi, you need to loose 15-20% of your body weight to get into the healthy zone, you will be weaker though as a result." I'd not be able to take her seriously.
 andi turner 03 Jan 2014

He's a bit more than "lean" though in that pic! He looks thin for a whippet. Not that I think it's wrong for someone doing what he is doing, but if that is everyone's target weight, then that's something different all together.
wobble 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Removed UserAndi Turner:

When I said "us" I guess I was referring to the population at large. But I do believe this is probably the case for most of us on UKC too.

I'm carrying a couple of pounds too much in my profile pics...just because I look tall and "skinny" doesn't mean I'm at the right weight.

mikehike 04 Jan 2014
In reply to FrankBooth:

Looks fit for purpose, but the beard is wrong.
 andi turner 04 Jan 2014
In reply to wobble:

Right weight for what?
wobble 04 Jan 2014
In reply to andi turner:
Most things really, running, cycling, climbing when I can, just generally living...
I may look like a skinny streak of piss, as does Wiggo, but I personally am carrying a couple of kilos too much weight.

,,,and he looks better without the beard
 andi turner 04 Jan 2014
In reply to wobble:

Do you really climb that much better when you're a few kilos lighter? I dropped about three quarters of a stone last year to see what difference it made. The only difference for me when I was at thirteen stone was that I was a bit hungrier. Made no difference to my climbing at all. In fact, I got my first finger injury!

I like the beard.
johnj 04 Jan 2014

It's just a beard, it looks fine, I'm looking forward to when he get's to his super Mario days!
wobble 04 Jan 2014
In reply to andi turner:
Difficult to say at the lowly level I climb and the numerous injuries I have clouding the issue, but don't like being "fat" so choose to keep myself as slim as I can.
Age has an affect of course. I'm sure anyone over 50 on this site will tell you that you have to work at keeping in shape,,,

andi turner 04 Jan 2014
In reply to wobble:

You never know, maybe you'd have less injuries if you put on a few pounds.... I can appreciate that it makes a difference when talking about splitting times at the very zenith of competitive cycling, but for us, no. Easier just to carry a few less quick draws
wobble 04 Jan 2014
In reply to andi turner:
If I thought being a stone heavier would sort out my fractured vertebra I'd be straight down the pie shop....

andi turner 04 Jan 2014
In reply to wobble:

Oof, that's no good!
 misterb 04 Jan 2014
In reply to andi turner:

i'm really interested to hear that the weight loss didn't help your climbing at all , did it not even help make the holds feel a bit bigger?
i've been toying with the idea of knocking off a stone and a bit (currently 14stone) to see whether it makes a big diff to my climbing but i'm tempted to keep eating the pies after hearing this.
i don't climb as hard as you but i have always struggled with finger strength and i thought it might be due to being heavy/ fat for my height
 andi turner 04 Jan 2014
In reply to misterb:

I'm not saying it won't help you, but didn't make any odds to me, especially with what I was climbing at the time (I wasn't support climbing much). If I was climbing a lot of steep stuff then maybe it would have. I think a lot of climbers are guilty of believing that their weight and finger strength are their limiting factor, when it's probably more a case of 'climbing well' and practising good practice

Hope that doesn't sound patronising, doesn't mean to, it's what I really believe.
wobble 04 Jan 2014
In reply to andi turner:
"Oof" That's what I said when I hit the ground.
 Got a job rob 04 Jan 2014

The Bar-stard! I spent about a year being asked if I had grown my sideburns because of wiggo (No, i had had them for about 12 years). AND NOW I FOUND HE HAS GROWN A BEARD! I have been growing one of them for about 2 months. I am starting to think that he is coping me.
 Richard Carter 05 Jan 2014
In reply to andi turner:
This October I was 70kg*. I mainly live on Chinese and Indian takeaways, I guess some people are just naturally thin?

Richard

* Post Christmas I'm now around 74kg.
Post edited at 00:05
 FrankBooth 06 Jan 2014
In reply to misterb:

I dropped a stone last year and my climbing improved by a grade (we're only talking 6a to 6b indoors mind you). Providing the weight loss is fat and not muscle, it stands to reason, especially on overhanging routes. Carrying an extra stone is the equivalent to climbing with a 6.6 kg rucksack so it stands to reason I'd have thought (at any grade).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...