UKC

SWANAGE CLIMBERS staking 26th Jan 2014

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Marti999 Global Crag Moderator 03 Jan 2014
The Ruckle needs You!
The new year has come and it is time to do your bit for your local crag.

A day of stake bashing and a little scrub clearing at the west end of the Boulder Ruckle.
So come along on Sunday 26th January and help

Parking will be free, some food (warm pasty) and hot drinks for the volunteers. All tools provided.

Please email me with your intent to help, So I can get idea of numbers and pass on admin details.
climbermarti@gmail.com
 Mick Ward 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Marti999:

Oh no, Marti, you know I get all dizzy and have these strange palpitations every time Swanage is even mentioned!

Aye, OK, happen I'll be there. Suppose I might as well leave the clip-stick at home.

Mick

P.S. Who's going to win the stake placing competition this time around? You probably!!! Scott came a very creditable second last time. But t'was no avail against my partner for the day, 'Strong Eddie' (RM). Wouldn't you know it?
 Sheffield Sam 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Marti999:

Hi

I just tried to email you but it bounced back for some reason. My friend and I would be more than happy to come down and offer our help.

See you then

Sam
 cuppatea 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Marti999:

It's a bit of a tangent, sorry, but I think I used to climb with you back in the early 90s. Hello!

I'll send you a pm when I'm a bit soberer
 mattc 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Marti999:

My email just bounced back to. If I'm around I'm up for heading down to help
 Mr p 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Marti999:

Ill be there
 steve taylor 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Marti999:

Do you mean:

CLIMBERMARTI@GMAIL.COM

maybe?
OP Marti999 Global Crag Moderator 03 Jan 2014
Correct email
Climbermarti@gmail.com
Thanks Steve
 steve taylor 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Marti999:

Do you need any funds for the stakes? Let me know if you do.

Derby Grit 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Marti999:

Bashing in the stakes distorts the top of them to such an extent that sometimes seriously sharp edges are formed.

These sharp edges can be seen on several of the stakes there already and I've seen some badly cut fingers - not what a climber wants!

Worse still these sharp edges could badly damage a rope if they came into contact...

May I suggest that an angle-grinder be used to take off the top inch or two and a file used to round off the new top edges?

(An angle-grinder could be hired for the day if necessary)
 steve taylor 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Derby Grit:

It's fortunate that we don't have chert on the cliffs at Swanage, you could cut yourself on that too
OP Marti999 Global Crag Moderator 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Derby Grit:

Thanks for your suggestion; this is some thing I have already thought about and getting around to, but I am only one man. So your help would be greatly appreciated with putting some stakes in to start with, some new sharp ones are better than none.
Feel free to bring an angle grinder along as money is short for stake work and they are not cheap.

Martin Hore 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Marti999:

Not sure from his post if "Derby Grit" was planning to help, but a good answer either way.

I climb at Swanage usually a couple of weekends a year and benefit from the staking work - many thanks for all your efforts. Unfortunately it's a bit far to travel from Ipswich for a single day, and expensive with just one in a car, but I might be keener to help if you ever work two or three days together (mid-week possible).

Alternatively I'd be happy to make a small donation. Please email me with the details.

Martin

The Ivanator 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Marti999:

Just mailed you. I'll be there. Ivan
 Derby Grit 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Marti999:

I'd love to come & help (and will do if it's possible) however I may not be 'down South' on that day and it's possible my hands won't have healed from the trashing the sharp shattered rock (flint?) gave them on Saturday.

Angle grinders can be hired at £17/weekend from HSS
 Mick Ward 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Marti999:

> ...but I am only one man.

Isn't that what Spartacus said?

Mick
 The Ivanator 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Mick Ward:

No, I'm Spartacus!
 Mick Ward 13 Jan 2014
In reply to The Ivanator:

Swanage Sandbag Scandalously Savaged... by Spartacus!

Those 'ole Romans, just trying to preserve the Swanage grading system ('VS will do just fine, thank you.') Then along comes Spartacus, placing his cam where he likes, generally wreaking havoc, the end of life as we know it.

Mick

P.S. Did those 'ole Romans have a corporate restructure, makeover, rebranding, whatsit, and now call themselves the BMC? Mind you, I get mighty confused these days; it's probably time for that nice nurse to come along and give me my medicine. I'll be all right then!
OP Marti999 Global Crag Moderator 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin Hore:

Thanks Martin. The stakes are being funded from a few places, but mainly this time from the Dorset bolt fund. So any donation would be easiest through that as is easy and set up on the web (Steve Rob sure you can plave s link on to this thread. )
Cheers marti
 Bitsofdeadtree 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Marti999:

Id be up to help out for the day and have lots of tools if required to, I own a commercial contracting company so have battery operated tools including large SDS drills and angle grinders (both hilti so up to the task!) as well as more sledge hammers and hand tools that you can shake a stick at.

Small catch, currently taking an involuntary driving holiday so a lift would be awesome. Drop me a line if interested as am only in New Milton area.

Sam
OP Marti999 Global Crag Moderator 14 Jan 2014
In reply to mrmanager:

Thanks for all the offers of angle grinders, but the plan is just to put the stakes in on the 26th.
There is plenty of other work required to sort the top of swanage that needs organizing over the year.

If anyone feels the need to grind the stake off flat can you please treat them with coldGav spray and preferably add and scaff tube bung. (you can buy these on ebay) in internal ones.

I will send a email out next week with more detail for the 26th
so please email me if you haven't already if you are intending to come.
climbermarti@gmail.com
OP Marti999 Global Crag Moderator 15 Jan 2014
In reply to mrmanager:

also if anyone who is passing new milton can offer Sam a lift would be helpful

CurlyStevo 15 Jan 2014
In reply to Marti999:

I can't make this unfortunately......
 purple sue 15 Jan 2014
In reply to Marti999:

I'll be there Marti
 mattc 16 Jan 2014
In reply to purple sue:

Hi sue if I'm free do you want to share a car down??
 The Ivanator 16 Jan 2014
In reply to mattc & purple sue:

I could make it a 3 in one car, happy to drive or ride.
OP Marti999 Global Crag Moderator 18 Jan 2014
In reply to Marti999:

HI Everyone
if you have not email me yet can you do so. As i will send more details out next week.
cheers marti

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...