UKC

Summits in the Dolomites achievable with minimal gear?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oujmik 04 Jan 2014
Planning a trip to the Dolomites later in the year (Sept) and looking at possible routes. We've got the Cicerone "Shorter walks in the Dolomites" book which has some great looking routes, but not many of them allow you to get close up with the rock and/or stand on a summit (except by cable car). I know Via Ferrata is an option, so we're open to buying a couple of VF kits if that helps. I read the recent VF thread with interest.

We're experienced walkers and have a decent amount of scrambling experience, but our technical climbing ability is very modest and we don't have the experience to tackle anything that could be regarded as multi-pitch climbing or mountaineering. We also won't be taking a full rack, just a harnesses and a few slings, krabs, nuts and a short rope - our standard scrambling setup.

Can anyone recommend particular routes or areas that suit our ability level and kit? Something at a similar level to classic Scottish scrambles like Aonach Eagach or Curved Ridge would be ideal.

Thanks!
 JLS 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

The equivalent of aonach eagach and curved ridge will be VF's. If you want a summit name as some sort of target to plan round look at Piz Boe. Many ways to get to its summit - some very easy, some hard and lots in between.

http://m.camptocamp.org/summits/40215/en/piz-boe

Chris the Tall 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Oujmik:
I'm pretty sure the summit of Tofana di Rozes can be reached by a non VF walk. I went up the VF, but I'm pretty sure we put the VF kit away for the final bit and the entire descent. I've got some pics of it in my gallery - pretty impressive mountain - but none of the summit cos it was foggy

I'm sure you could reach the summit of Piz Boe, and maybe others in the Sella group, without using VFs or lifts.

Lots of nice walks elsewhere in the area
Post edited at 23:54
altirando 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Piz Boe has a nice little café on top. Hardly any sort of climb,indeed used in a marathon run event. Traversing it makes it more interesting.
 d_b 05 Jan 2014
In reply to altirando:

I remember that from my first trip to the dolomites. We were in the middle of a 4 day walk through the Sella group. Hadn't seen anyone all day, then got to the top of Piz Boe and were suddenly surrounded by people eating ice cream.
 Chris the Tall 05 Jan 2014
In reply to altirando:

I'd forgotten about that, but we were in a bit of a hurry after doing the VF as we had to catch up with the rest of the group who had taken the shortcut to the top of the pordoi cable car.

I would imagine that any ascent of Piz Boe, or the other summits on sella, from the road and not using the VF would involve a lot of trudging up scree
 Harry Ellis 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Oujmik:
The vf up the cadinspitze from Rif. Fondo Savio was straightforward but brilliantly exposed to an airy but not tiny summit. Paternkofel from dreizinnenhut is great too with a brilliant view of the tre cime.
Thinking back 11 years makes me want to go back!
Hth
altirando 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall: oh no. Very civilised. Big cable car from the top of the Pordoi pass, misses out the scree, interesting walk up the south side of Boe, lunch at the cafe, most people reverse the route but continuing on, down a short ladder, then on to the main Sella path. Another interesting walk in the area I found was to get the gondola lift from above Corvara to the top of the Gardena pass, up over the Sas Ciampa, good rock scenery, back down to Colfosco.

altirando 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Just remembered, the Sassolongher above Corvara is also a scrambly summit.
 Chris the Tall 05 Jan 2014
In reply to altirando:

> Another interesting walk in the area I found was to get the gondola lift from above Corvara to the top of the Gardena pass, up over the Sas Ciampa, good rock scenery, back down to Colfosco.

I've walked down from the summit of sass ciampic, admittedly very late in the day, but yes great scenery. There was a quite grotesque crucifix somewhere up there too - about 12 foot high with Christ in agony - quite a shock when you shine a torch on it in the dark ! The walk through the meadows to the base of the climb was lovely too.

Just remembered another very attainable summit at Gardena - Grand Cir. Technically a VF, grade 1, but no more than an easy scramble with a handrail. Again I've only descended it, in a hurry, but for once not out of fear of benightment, but because my friend needed to get back for a spa treatment!
 Carolyn 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

Worth getting one of the VF books, I reckon - many of them are routes to summits (or exciting routes anyhow) that would suit walkers with a head for heights and some scrambling experience.
 Mike-W-99 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

The hexenstein is easy enough and is a nice pointy summit.
OP Oujmik 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

Thanks for all the tips. I'll check out the mountains you mention. Having been looking at videos and maps I think we're going to give some VF a go, the routes look amazing and VF gear is minimal enough to take on the plane. I was worried that the VF might be way above our ability, but a little more research suggests that with good fitness all but the hardest routes could be within reach.

Really looking forward to it, looks like heaven for mountain lovers.
Rest Jug 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Oujmik:
With easy VF I'd also recommend
- Sasso delle Dodici in the Vallaccia subgroup (a really earial belvedere great views over Pera and Pozza di Fassa and most of the Fassa Valley and Catinaccio)
- Antermoia/Kesselkogel, again, great views of Catinaccio group
- Cima Vezzana, the highest peak in the Pale di San Martino
- Roda di Vael (pretty trafficked VF though)

No ferrata but a bit of scrambling
- Pala de Mesdì in the Larsec subgroup (ask info at the Gardeccia rifugio)
- Roda del Diavolo in the Roda di Vael subgroup (great views on one of the most overhanging faces of the Dolomites, the Roda di Vael)
- south east summit of Sassopiatto/Platkofel, the highest of the three summits and with the best views on the rest of the group
- Piz Ciavazes (after the first part of the famous Mesules VF)
- La Crepa Neigra (vulcanic peak above Canazei and Alba in Val di Fassa, great views on Vernel and Marmolada)

Enjoy!
Post edited at 22:58
 d_b 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

I just remembered that the summit above the Cinque Torri, the name of which I forget is just a walk from that side. It's not particularly notable in terms of height, but the views are excellent and there is a nice little hut/cafe at the top.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...