UKC

Ice & Mixed climbing in Norway - Feb, March

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DiDrayton 04 Jan 2014

Hi
I'm looking for tips and/or climbing partners for an ice & mixed climbing trip in Norway from 7 Feb to mid March.
I am coming over from NZ, my plans are set in concrete but some of the places on my list are Hemsedal, Rjukan and Tromso (there are a few other places as well).
I'd really appreciate tips on good places to stay, transport and places to meet other climbers. I've got quite a bit of stuff figured out.. but I think there are probably some better ways of doing things e.g. working out the bus routes..
I'm climbing (leading) M5 and WI4, but can second harder stuff & keen to push my grades while I am there. - If anyone is going over and looking for an extra person to climb with and share costs let me know!
cheers
di
Post edited at 23:47
 TobyA 05 Jan 2014
In reply to DiDrayton:

There is a new guide book out to Lyngen including ice climbing I believe, that's just an hour away from Tromso - but a lot of info is on Nick's blog already http://northnorwayice.blogspot.fi/
 Nick Harvey 05 Jan 2014
In reply to TobyA:
What is this Finnish version you link to!?

Some cracking photos in this month's Climb mag too, if you can get hold of it.

Have a Google for Senja Lodge. Bent may know something about meeting climbers up that way.
 TobyA 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Nick Harvey:

Doh - just blogger's "helpful" localisation, where ever you are it sticks that country's address on the end. I suspect you could stick any country address on the end and still get there.
 frqnt 06 Jan 2014
In reply to DiDrayton:
Get yourself to Gudvangen/Aurland. Good ice routes there. Not a lot in the way of (documented) mixed, though. I can help with more information if reqd.

Side note; where in NZ are you at?
DiDrayton 06 Jan 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks, I hadn't found that one it looks really useful!
DiDrayton 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Nick Harvey:

Thanks Nick - especially for all the work you've done on the blog!
I sent Bent an email he might be to busy to reply but I thought it was worth a try.
DiDrayton 06 Jan 2014
In reply to frqnt:

Thanks, I'd appreciate anything you can send me.

I'm living in Wellington - why are you planning a trip :-P
 TobyA 06 Jan 2014
In reply to DiDrayton:

Here's the book http://www.ffshop.no/lyngen-p-1404.html?osCsid=glktdhu82q323gsj5621baam80 unfortunately like all Norwegian books buying it needs a mortgage!
 frqnt 06 Jan 2014
In reply to DiDrayton:
I'm in NZ and spent some time there in Feb/Mar '13. There is a guide about (Gudvangen/Aurland/Laerdal) compiled by some Finish climbers, it's not published but fairly elaborate. I had a PDF copy somewhere but I'm afraid I may have purged it!
 StephenS 06 Jan 2014
In reply to DiDrayton:

Did you get my email?
DiDrayton 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Littleslip:

Hi, yeah I'd & I even replied..!
weird.

I'll try again. - If it doesn't work, my email just says that if you figure which dates we can work out the rest.
DiDrayton 07 Jan 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Wow, that isn't cheap is it..! But I guess it's the same price as a couple of Norwegian beers :-P
DiDrayton 07 Jan 2014
In reply to frqnt:

Hope you are finding some decent weather.. especially if you are here climbing!

I found this like to a pdf of Laerdal, http://www.laerdalsport.com/Downloaden/Statiske%20bokser/NORWAY%20ICE%20Lae...

Will keep looking.
 Nick Harvey 07 Jan 2014
In reply to DiDrayton:
If ou want Laerdal, check the other thread and email Martin Welch and / or Martin Moran.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...