UKC

chain tools

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Carter 06 Jan 2014
I'm after a little chain tool I can carry with me on rides. Was looking at the Park CT-5 and Park CT-6.3, has anyone used them both? Reviews for both products seem to vary massively :-/

Was looking at Park because I use a CT-4.3 at home and it's pretty good so I was going to stick with them. Any other recommendations are appreciated though !
 JLS 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Richard Carter:

The CT-5 looks best to me. Having the slot and teeth you are supposed to use for 1/8 part chain is good. That slot can be used to fix a stiff link by pushing the rivet into the near side plate without it moving at the far side plate.
In reply to JLS:

Is there a difference between 11 and 10 speed Shimano chains with regard to using chain tools? Just the CT6.3 says 11 speed compatible, whereas the CT5 doesn't. Too much choice :-P
 GerM 06 Jan 2014
Have a look at the crank brothers multi tools. Includes chain tool in a neat package.
 Mike Stretford 06 Jan 2014

I've got the CT-5 and it does what it says on the tin. The one on my multitool broke, the CT-5 looks very unlikely to break in the same place
 LastBoyScout 06 Jan 2014

I've got a Park CT-5 tool in the tool box - it works well, for the few occasions I've used it, which is mainly to shorten a new chain (quick link to join it).

On rides, I carry a ToPeak Mini 18+ tool, which has a built-in chain tool - used that a couple of times and seems fine, if a bit more fiddly.

Can't comment on the CT-6.3 or compatibility with anything higher than 9-speed, although I thought the pin size was the same but the chain was narrower?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...