UKC

Should I get a Downhill + Touring setup, or compromise?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Arkle 06 Jan 2014
I've skied for years and decided I'm gonna buy my first set of boots. I am not sure whether to go for a solid stiff touring boot that I can downhill on, or get a seperate pair for each dicipline.

For the DH, I want something that will let me be very fast and aggressive.
For the touring I don't mind a little bit of extra weight.
I am quite price sensitive!

Most of my trips would probably be to do one or the other.

thanks for your advice,
Dan
 Dark-Cloud 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Have a look at the new Scarpa Freeride boots, they look really good and would probably fit with what you describe above.
 Ben Briggs 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Dan Arkle:

One boot will do you fine unless you either want to race (when you want a nylon boot most shops won't sell you) or want to jump off HUGE cliffs when a walk mode is not a good idea.

The best downhill performing touring boots are Technica Cochie 130 pro, the K2 Pinicle 130, the Salomon quest 130, the BD factor mx , the scarpa freedom an the Dynafit Vulcan.

Personally I would rule out the Vulcan as you can only use it in a touring binding, the others can all be used in alpine bindings too. They are also stupidly expensive. The scarpa freedom has a slightly softer flex than all the others and has a massive volume so will be hard to fit precisely unless you have a large foot and lower leg. The K2 is probably the best boot but stupidly heavy. All have advantages and disadvantages and the one that fits best is the one to get, go to a good boot fitter.

The best performance for lightest weight if it fits well is probably the Technica with a better lighter aftermarket liner like the intuition power wrap.

They all make 120 flex versions of these boots and if it's your first pair you may not actually be skiing as precisely or aggressively as you think and be fine with a slightly softer lighter (also cheaper) boot.
 Obi Wonko 06 Jan 2014
Depending on how tight money is, it might be worth considering a second hand pair of titans. New liners may be needed, but the shell is bomb proof. They're a bit heavier than dedicated touring boots, but I've never found the weight a problem. They climb very nicely and are superb downhill too. They're also pretty good for mixed climbing (my G14 crampons just fit).

A good review of the 2010 model here:
http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/review-dynafit-titan-alpine-touri...

First second hand pair that came up for sale on google here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=103396

or new:
http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/dynafit/titan-tf-x-ski-boots/712021
OP Dan Arkle 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Ben Briggs:

Thanks Ben, Obi and Richlan, thats exactly the sort of info I need, I'll get up to Backcountry and see what they've got.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...