UKC

Another Gore-tex question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 16 Sep 2003
My girlfriend is in the market for a new pair of walking boots and I am very interested to know about the pros and cons of leather boots lined with gore-tex, simpatex or any other type of breathable membraine.

Any advice fore or against would be most welcome.
OP The Lemming 16 Sep 2003
In reply to The Lemming:
I have never worn this type of boot and do not know anybody personally with this type of boot so I really would appreciate some advice about them.

Thanks
 sutty 16 Sep 2003
In reply to The Lemming:

have a look on the Outdoorsmagic site, they will have reviews and comments.
 Dave Stelmach 16 Sep 2003
In reply to The Lemming: Pros - if your feet get wet they'll dry (if the sock and leather are designed to conduct water away).
Cons - expense, probably better with decent socks. I also find them to be slipperier inside (if that makes sense). Unless you're going full winter, a goretex/leather combo would probably be better. I use KSB's in all weathers (most of the boot can be protected with a gaiter) and only use a Goretex lined leather to fit crampons onto and it's the only leather B3 I have. All in all, I still prefer my older Kapok-filled Scarpas. They're heavy, but very rugged (a bit like me)! Hope this helps
 Dave Stelmach 16 Sep 2003
In reply to The Lemming: There's an article on the better boots in a recent High mag
 Escher 16 Sep 2003
In reply to The Lemming: For me the choice depends on what you (or your girlfriend) is going to use them for. Unlined boots once treated are waterproof and probably more breathable than lined ones. If you suffer from sweaty feet then lined boots aren't so good. However, I prefer lined boots as I regularly go on extended treks and having to reproof my boots after walking through mud, on rocks, ice and snow is a pain and sometimes is required twice a day to keep the boots proofed. Therefore I'd rather have slightly sweaty feet and know that if I dunk my foot in a stream it isn't going to get wet.

Basically:-

Unlined = more breathable, therefore more comfy, but needs better looking after and regular treatment. Best to go for something like Scarpas as they are made out of one piece of leather, no seams and the waterproofing stays on really well.

Lined = hotter, sweatier but generally more waterproof in different circumstances (in my experience)

More important is finding the right boot that fits well, lined or unlined.

In reply to Dave Stelmach:

Thanks for the replies chaps, especially the recomended web site.

Cheers.
In reply to The Lemming:

Synical question here. Is a gore-tex lining to compensate for a weaker form of leather?
RichardB 16 Sep 2003
In reply to The Lemming:

I have a pair of Boreal boots with gortex lining and whilst they are a tremdeous boot over all their breathability is awful.

I generally have hot and sweaty feet but really notice the difference with these boots. I certainly woudln't search out lined boots again.
Just_Jonny 16 Sep 2003
In reply to The Lemming:

goretex lined boots suck. sorry.
Ever wondered why boot manufacturers that use gore-tex only ever seem to come eith one year guarantee. Its cos it's all they're allowed to give them, cos it'll expire just in time for you to discover that the linings shagged and they start to leak like a sponge if you dont start to proof them.
Lightweight 16 Sep 2003
In reply to The Lemming:

My view is that whether leather boots are gore-tex lined or not comes way down the list - after fit, design, suitability for your needs, weight, quality of materials, etc, etc.

if you found two boots that were as good as each other, except one was goretex lined, then you'd have to work out which you wanted. but for leather boots, i almost guarantee this wouldn't happen.

what's more, goretex linings start to leak pretty quick, so far more important is the quality of the leather.

if i was in your shoes, i'd be looking at Scarpa, Meindl (although more stitching so perhaps less aimed at UK walking), and Zamberlan.
Lightweight 16 Sep 2003
In reply to The Lemming:

one other thing: for boots made of good leather, i'd be inclined to save money and not get gore-tex lined, and use the saved money on custom or at least top-quality footbeds. manufacturers generally give you crap ones as standard issue.
Dr Chris 19 Sep 2003
In reply to The Lemming:

Here's how gore-tex works:
It's a semi-permeable membrane which allows water vapour, but not liquid water to pass. Your body heat causes condensation and sweat to vaporise & the water vapour goes through the membrane. Fairly critically you need free flowing air (ie wind) across the outside of the membrane to carry the vapour away. Which is fine in jackets, gloves, hats etc.
In you boots though, you've generally got a pretty tough outer to stop abrasion ... this prevents air flow over the gore-tex and compromises the effectiveness of the membrane: ie your feet will still be clammy. Moreover, if you "proof" the outside of the boots, then no way can the gore-tex work.
Furthermore, manufacturers only line the upper of the boot with gore-tex and not the sole, so there is a seam at the bottom of the boot which must be proofed or it will leak (refer to the previous point on proofing and spot the obvious contradiction in gore-tex boot care for yourself).

All-in-all: gore-tex boots are a gimmick. Best advice is to work out what you're going to use the boots for, go to lots of decent shops, try different makes, stiffness etc. and then buy the most appropriate boot in your price range. If it has Gore-Tex in it, fine, you've got a pretty label but that's all.
Enjoy.

PS: I was obliged to buy a pair of Scarpa gore-tex boots as part a company uniform ... had them a couple of years and they leak like sieves. Natch.
 Dan_S 19 Sep 2003
In reply to Dr Chris:
I should point out I'm only commenting on my experience of Karrimors KSB300 gore-tex lined boots, but I'd guess the principles are the same. I've had these boots for 2 years, and they're still waterproof and going strong.

As the gore-tex lining is waterproof, there is no need to "proof" the boot. However, as the leather is a natural product, it is important to keep topping up the oils ect that help keep it supple and elastic. Nikwax and grangers make products specifically for membrane lined boots.

From boots I've looked at, and the pair that I own, the membrane is basically like a sock, attached to the inside of the leather/fabric. It is not just the upper that is lined. There is, provided that the membrane is intact, no way for water to get in. If you allow grit to get into the boot, then it will damage the membrane, but with a little care, its hardly a major problem.

With regards to breathability, I've yet to experience any clammy feeling whilst wearing my boots. They are warmer than conventional footware, but not excessivly so.

sutty 20 Sep 2003
In reply to Dan_S:

Can you wash the goretex thoroughly, if not it will fail to do its job once it is clogged with sweat.

A group got Goretex bivibags for a trip in a replica viking boat from Norway to the IOM. They all failed to keep the water out once they were encrusted in salt spray, something not considered before hand.
Goretex only works when clean.
In reply to Dan_S:

> As the gore-tex lining is waterproof, there is no need to "proof" the boot

Not quite true, if you want it to breathe at all. If the suede/Cordura surface of your KSB300s wets out, i.e. gets saturated with water, there's no way that water vapour will be able to escape from the boot. So you want to regularly treat the boot with a water-repellent spray.

It's pretty tricky to find boots without a Gore or other waterproof lining these days...
Dave Hunter 20 Sep 2003
In reply to captain paranoia:

'It's pretty tricky to find boots without a Gore or other waterproof lining these days... '

oh, I don't know about that: the Scarpa Manta, SL, Delta, Trek, Cumbre; Sportiva Nepal top, Nepal XT, Makalu; Salonom SM Lite, SM Expert all avoid the curse of Grotex.

Agree with your other comments tho'.
Alex Masters 20 Sep 2003
In reply to Dr Chris:
> Moreover, if you "proof" the outside of the boots, then no way can the gore-tex work.

Taking a Gore Tex lined fabric boot as an example, I can't see how proofing it would prevent the Gore tex from working. Proofing such a boot does not block the gaps between the fibres in the outer fabric to make them waterproof, it coats the fibres with a substance to make them water repellant, which retains breathability (albeit marginally reduced). This wouldn't really have a great effect on the breathability of the membrane.

> Furthermore, manufacturers only line the upper of the boot with gore-tex and not the sole, so there is a seam at the bottom of the boot which must be proofed or it will leak

As far as I am aware, most Gore Tex boots on the market use a sock which fully encloses the foot, rather than just the upper of the boot

Anonymous 22 Sep 2003
qw e

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...