UKC

WARNING _ Blackwater Hostel, Kinlochleven

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sarahjk 06 Jan 2014
Just wanted to give a heads up warning to fellow climbers after a bad experience staying in Kinlochleven.

We were significantly over charged, had to argue for refund and still not given full amount, despite conversations and emails promising changes etc ok [receipt of which now denied]. DO NOT give bank details. Another member of group had card charged, despite assurances cash was good, so he went over drawn. Uncomfortable beds and difficult to use cookers, limited comfy seating pales into insignificance compared to money grabbing attitude. Shame really.
 DaveHK 06 Jan 2014
In reply to sarahkeast:

An all too common story with bunkhouses in this country.
 Trangia 06 Jan 2014
In reply to sarahkeast:

Thanks for the warning.

Sad really when you get screwed by people like that.
Removed User 06 Jan 2014
In reply to sarahkeast:

Hi Sarah that sounds seriously bad form for a bunkhouse. It would be good if Blackwater Hostel would respond to this thread.

FWIW my club stayed there in October and despite us messing them about during the booking, everything was fine with none of the problems you describe. I thought it was a pretty well laid out and appointed bunkhouse. Beds are subjective and I don't recall any issue with the cookers. Indeed the comfy seating area is small compared to the canteen-like dining area but ultimately it's a functional bunkhouse. I'll go again, though you've made me wary about bank details

I've got no connection with them BTW, just my 5p worth in case yours is an exceptional fukup on their part.

The one I won't go to again is the Glen Feshie bunkhouse which was one of the very best when Jean ran it. We booked it a couple of years ago under the new owners and we won't be back.

Darkskys 06 Jan 2014
In reply to sarahkeast:

It's sad to hear this as I love this little bunkhouse, I've stayed here many times in the past and had no issues.

I hope it's a one off as I'd be more than happy paying to stay again as it's exactly what it is, nice and cheap but unfortunately it doesn't sound cheerful anymore
OP sarahjk 07 Jan 2014
In reply to sarahkeast:

Yes it is a shame, but two of our party were separately treated in a money grabbing way with verbal promises totally disregarded and denied.

I dont have a lot of money for leisure (who does) but certainly base my spending choices on ethics and custom service. Guess we will take it elsewhere in future.
 Cuthbert 07 Jan 2014
In reply to sarahkeast:

Have you taken this up with the hostel before taking to the internet to damage their reputation?
Removed User 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Saor Alba:

> Have you taken this up with the hostel before taking to the internet to damage their reputation?

"[receipt of which now denied]" pretty much implies this..
 Rampikino 07 Jan 2014
In reply to Saor Alba:

Welcome to the modern world.

The OP is not obliged to take it up with the bunkhouse and is within his/her rights to express an opinion online so long as it is not libelous.
Slugain Howff 07 Jan 2014
In reply to sarahkeast:

Seems to be a lot of positive feedback on Trip Advisor.........

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g551918-d3162085-Reviews-or20-Bla...

JohnnyW 07 Jan 2014
In reply to sarahkeast:

Yes, must admit I have always had a good experience there, and we have stayed there as a group half a dozen times. I like the big kitchen area, as it's a nice communal feel.

Kinlochewe bunkhouse however.......
 Jamie B 07 Jan 2014
In reply to sarahkeast:

I've got to say, I live in the village and have never heard anything but good things about the Blackwater, so this is a bit surprising to read.
OP sarahjk 07 Jan 2014
In reply to sarahkeast:

Yes I took it up with them, they denied conversations AND emails notifying of change to the booking. That, and the fact they messed another member of group around and just told us they wouldnt even consider a refund is most upsetting.
 goatee 07 Jan 2014
In reply to sarahkeast:

Sorry to hear of your problems. I have to say I stayed there a few years ago and thought it was very good. Run at that time by a guy from northern Ireland who was very nice. Biggest problem was a sizable group of middle aged numpties who were very loud late into the night. They were sorted out by the manager. I would go back no problem.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...