UKC

6 week expedition food

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevinroet 07 Jan 2014
I'm looking for suggestions on what type of food to take with us on a 6 week expedition in Greenland, we will be dropped off by boat, and not return for 6 weeks. So we need suggestions of high calorie foods, lightweight and hopefully tasty too. We will be setting up a base camp 1-2 days walk from the drop off point, it looks like 2 trips with the amount of food we will need.
 GarethSL 07 Jan 2014
In reply to kevinroet:

How many persons?
In reply to kevinroet:
This lot might give you some inspiration:
https://workspace.imperial.ac.uk/expeditions/public/EastGreenland2009.pdf Pg 38 and 39

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/pls/portallive/docs/1/52329.PDF pg 15 and Appendix D
which supersedes:
https://workspace.imperial.ac.uk/expeditions/public/Greenland2003.pdf Page 32 and 33

Have a great trip, Greenland was a great country to visit.
In reply to kevinroet:

42 days worth of food, plus tents and clothing and gear and gas to cook the 42 days of food, all in two trips...by pulk yeah?
 Katie86 07 Jan 2014
In reply to kevinroet:

I can personally recommend Mountain House if you are after freeze dried food. I lived on it for over a month in Baffin Island a few years ago. I have tried many other brands and found them orange and greasy. I loved Mountain House and would take them again. I think they have expanded their range more now too.
 crayefish 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Katie86:

I actually found them bland and was annoyed by the lack of a fill line in the bags. I now only use 'be well' freeze dried food as much tastier, has a fill line and come in hifher calorie versions. Plus Ranulph Fiennes uses them
Flatus Vetus 08 Jan 2014
In reply to kevinroet:

I've used Mountain House pouches for up to two weeks at a time. They are high in carbs but lacking in fat so I add a spoonful of oil during the 'cooking process'.
OP kevinroet 08 Jan 2014
In reply to kevinroet:

there will be between 6-8 people going
OP kevinroet 08 Jan 2014
In reply to kevinroet:

Dont think we will be taking anything by pulk, as the walk in will be through a boulder field and little snow that time of year.
 Damo 08 Jan 2014
In reply to kevinroet:

> ...high calorie foods, lightweight and hopefully tasty too. We will be setting up a base camp 1-2 days walk from the drop off point, it looks like 2 trips with the amount of food we will need.

With those logistics I reckon weight is going to override all other concerns, considerably. Dried, powdered, minimal packaging, premixed ingredients. Other polar food plans may not really be applicable, as they often take butter and/or oil and other relatively heavy things, plus a lot of fuel to melt snow for water. But I guess you are low down, not up high on the plateau, so high fat calories and water should not be issues?

50 days food should be at least = 60kg each.
150ml fuel pppday @ 50 days = 7.5kg each
Climbing gear and cameras etc = max 15kg each?
Tent share, sleeping gear, bits & pieces = 5kg each? Total 90kg.
Call it 85kg each to get from coast to camp, leaving 5kg food behind at the coast as emergency.
First trip is route finding and shakedown with 25kg load for 2 days, then 1 day back
Second trip is easier, 30kg for 2 days, then 1 day back
Third trip you go it 30kg(!!) in one day. Rest.
You've used up 8 days food already

30kg loads over boulders is bloody hard work, so you'll need the calories but not want to carry them. Be wary of taking heavy stuff from home that is nice, or high calorie, but when the carry comes you decide to leave it behind, saving weight but losing calories.

Invest in going around buying different freeze-dried meals and test them. It's worth it for 50 days to not have to eat stuff you hate. Everyone has different tastes and peoples' preferences change in the cold, weeks out, starved of other things. People usually take too much chocolate and sweets and not enough savoury tasty things. Drink powders vary widely in the amount needed to make it how it should be, so check and compare
OP kevinroet 09 Jan 2014
In reply to kevinroet:

thanks guys
 allycat 16 Jan 2014
In reply to Damo:

OK we can reduce this a bit here.

We are in transit through Iceland and town in Greenland for a few days and at base camp for a total of 39 days.

Boat journey is 4-6 hours depending on conditions and walk in is not 2 days as previously thought due to confusion of boat drop off point. This has now be rectified and walk in is again 4-6 hours depending on conditions.

More time for climbing - Happy Days!

Cath
 Solaris 16 Jan 2014
In reply to kevinroet:

3 weeks across Iceland this summer Adventure Food (available from Go Outdoors) scored consistently higher than Mountain House. Wish we'd taken more of the former than the latter, but it was new to us and we didn't want to make a mistake.
 Puppythedog 16 Jan 2014
In reply to kevinroet:

Wow, Kev I am very Jealous.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...