UKC

Telemark ski advice - Help me make up my mind!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nv 08 Jan 2014
Hi all,

So I'm working another winter season Teleing in the Alps. I'm in the proccess of buying some Scarpa TX Pro and Rottarfella Freedom bindings... all I need is a descent set of skis.

I can only aim for Black Crow Skis (don't ask why).

So my choice is between the Black Crow Camox & the Black Crow Corvus.

I will be spending most of my ski hours looking for ungroomed powder and the filthiest gullies I can climb my way into. However, I am also teaching my girlfriend how to ski so I may have to spend at least some time on groomed piste.

I only have enough funds for one pair of skis for the next FIVE years because of how much they are.

Can anyone offer me some advice or just Bully me into making my mind up...!!!

Cheers,

Nick (The indecisive)
 HeMa 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Nick.V:

My pick would be easy... Corvus as the Chamox is a touring rig.
OP nv 09 Jan 2014
In reply to HeMa:

Freedom Bindings are touring bindings. I do quite a bit of touring...

See my problem :P
 HeMa 09 Jan 2014
In reply to Nick.V:

I know what kind of binders Freedom is. I have a bunch of Freerides bolted on assorted skis.

Still, by touring, I meant solely touring... nothing from the lifts. Hence Corvus, as you have good access to lift served stuff as well as touring stuff.
 AG 09 Jan 2014
In reply to HeMa:

on a slightly different note, i'm trying to decide on whether a switch to NTN i worth it...theres quite a few conflicting reviews. I'm currently on scarpa t1's with rottefella R8's but i'm considering getting hammerheads or axls for my new skis or swith to NTN freedoms- there seems to be quite a split in opinions!.
OP nv 09 Jan 2014
In reply to HeMa:

Sorry, didn't mean to sound patronising!

Thanks for the advice.

AG - I'm in the same boat but I've decided to go with NTN for this season because I can still use my dynafit bindings with the TX Pro boots. I'd also like to see what all the hype is about as well...

HeMa 09 Jan 2014
In reply to Nick.V:

No worries...

As for NTN vs. 75mm stuff, well each to their own. But I switched to NTNs some 4 or 5 years ago and haven't regretted it.

NTN boots can be lighter (for the power they deliver) and they are also better for my feet. Not to mention the fact that since teh duckbill is gone, they are nicer to walk or bootback up ridges or coolers. Crampons work better as well.

And yeah, tech-binder comparability is a nice bonus as well. But with these, best to either get a shim or simply screw some HDPE (like plastic cutting board material) below the sole to omit the flexibility from the bellows...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...