UKC

Bottom roping area for novices in North Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Fauve Ferrier 09 Jan 2014
Morning all,
so this is my first post so hello!

I am heading to the UK at the end of July and I am looking to take some first time climbers bottom roping somewhere in the Snowdonia area and was hoping for a recommendation from some of you lovely people.

I am planning on taking them up Snowdon and then a day at an inside wall and then a couple or three days on a crag. We will be camping at Dolgam but have transport. Ideally somewhere with an easy walk in and low grade climbs with the possibility to move onto something harder if they progress and like it.

Any help appreciated,
Fauve
 Mark Eddy 09 Jan 2014
In reply to Fauve Ferrier:

Dinas mot outcrop in the Llanberis pass: this has a selection of routes from about vdiff - hvs (and i think some much harder routes around the side), it's roadside so short walk in and good views.

Llanberis slate quarries: The Sidings area of Australia has plenty to go at from f4 upwards. Bolted lower offs so minimal kit needed to set up. The quarries are an amazing place and well worth a visit.

Mark

rusty8850 09 Jan 2014

There are a few crags but you'll probably need to get a guide book to find them. Popular ones are Upper tier at tremadog (there are multi pitch climbs of every grade at the other cliffs of tremadog - craig pant I fan and bwlch y moch) Holyhead mountain on anglesey (lots of routes all grades) little tryfan worth a look, not ideal for bottom roping but lots of real easy routes and quite a friendly place.
If you are still in Canmore look up Nick Sharpe of Yamnuska Guides. He knows Snowdonia very well.
Happy to give you more info if you need it.
 PaulHermes 09 Jan 2014

Try Fachwen, its at the bottom end of the lake in Llanberis. Been used by groups for years and you will not upset other climbers by going on the crags
Fauve Ferrier 09 Jan 2014
In reply to PaulHermes:

Thanks for all the replies folks, greatly appreciated. Have a friend bringing me a couple of guide books so will have a look at them.

Rusty, have met Nick a couple of times over the years so might pop into the office when I get a chance. Have to drag my ass away from the slopes first

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...