UKC

Will Cheddar be too wet this Saturday?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andrewmc 09 Jan 2014

Looking at going to Cheddar this Saturday, but will there be anything to climb? It looks like it won't be as wet between now and then as the recent weather, except annoyingly rain on the Friday night

The guidebook suggests Easter Island is quick-drying?

Otherwise will have to find a backup plan...
Post edited at 13:58
 The Ivanator 09 Jan 2014
In reply to andrewmcleod:

Easter Island catches any available sun and dries fast. Harder stuff up on the Remnant should dry out. By the afternoon you might find Sunnyside terrace on the South side is OK too. Most of the roadside stuff is likely to be seeping, some routes on the Narrows might dry out though - went on a dry day after a wet spell back in November and we found enough to do, but areas like the Wave, Arch Rock and Horseshoe Bend were gopping.
OP andrewmc 09 Jan 2014
In reply to The Ivanator:
I guess I was hoping the answer was going to be 'every Saturday morning Cheddar is dried out by the magical dry-rock fairy so it will be fine'. Thanks for the suggestions though, I will remember them if either forecast improves or next time.
Post edited at 23:37
 badgerjockey 09 Jan 2014

Easter Island! Lovely spot, some great climbs between 4+ and 6a+. Couple of decent low-mid grade trad routes. I'd bet a fiver it will be the driest spot about.

Otherwise look at Brean Down... If the swell isn't too much that is.

Cusco 11 Jan 2014

Easter Island was bone dry and in the glorious sunshine today. Which is why 20 people were there for the same four routes. Not a great experience.

Anyone know why there were two fire engines, another on way and a number of mountainin rescue vehicles in one of the gorge car parks circa 4pm? Looked like something big had happened.
OP andrewmc 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Cusco:

> Easter Island was bone dry and in the glorious sunshine today. Which is why 20 people were there for the same four routes. Not a great experience.

Probably a good thing that my climbing partner wanted to go to Low Man instead then! Which we pretty much had to ourselves. Ironically for some reason I still haven't worked out, I decided to try Levitation despite it being the only climb on the otherwise dry crag that was actually dripping water on me as I got about 3 foot up and jammed into the crack before realising my mistake and bailing... :P
 Cusco 12 Jan 2014

You definitely made the right choice avoiding Easter Island and going to Low Man. The crowds, the queues and the smell of cigarettes at the former were hellish, which is why we raced on as soon as we'd done a warm up.

The first 20 feet of Levitation can be horrendously awful if it's wet. If you're there again, try Raven Wing, which I think is one of Dartmoor's un-sung gems. It's got great moves (particularly if you know where the hidden hold is on the crux!) and great gear. It's so much more enjoyable as a route that Suspension Flake.

Outward Bound is also fantastic - pure Patey class. Just don't do it on a windy day because the sling on the block may blow off!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...