UKC

Hardshell troosers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aldo56 10 Jan 2014
So, your out climbing in the Norries in typical 70mph winds, spindrift and snow. Above you, your partner swims up another pitch in what seems like slow motion as he digs for gear. You start thinking "God I wish he'd hurry up, these UKC fabled £40 Decathalon soft shell trousers don't seem to be doing much of anything to stop that wind!"

Another 20 minutes pass and your legs start getting really cold, you start to dance on the belay in an attempt to generate some heat. Belay blues set in hard before he reaches the belay: "What am i doing here??! I need some harder leg wear!"

So, i'm looking for some hardshell legwear to stick on over my Decathalon numbers when the going gets tough and the belays get cold, any recommendations?

(Preferable not something that will financially cripple me.)

PPP 10 Jan 2014
In reply to aldo56:

Do you wear thermal underwear under the trousers?
 The Potato 10 Jan 2014
In reply to aldo56:

so long as you arent bothered about the camoflague pattern then Id suggest an ebay search for
DPM trousers
Ive got a pair that I paid about £15 for, they are tough army goretex trousers, nothing fancy just elasticated cuffs and waist, not been cold or wet in them
 Oceanic 10 Jan 2014
In reply to aldo56:

I havn't tried them, but these look like an interesting solution to the probem you mention...

http://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Products/Eco-Collection/Men/Pants/Men-s-Waddingt...
 The Potato 10 Jan 2014
In reply to Oceanic:

smeg me an 80 quid pair of shorts!
 James91 10 Jan 2014
In reply to aldo56:

I managed to get hold of some berghaus storm II overtrousers for 50 quid - think they are about 60ish at the moment but from impressions so far they are seriously good. Used to have some rab latok alpine trousers and I actually prefer these - still got a crampon patch on inside of leg, nice lengthy side zips with big storm baffle inside and the fabic seems decent and has kept me 100% dry so far (which my latoks didnt all the time - may have been faulty or something but disappointed!). The goretex hellvellyn version also seems amazing, my girlfriend just bought them,same thing but goretex. albeit more expensive at 80 quid - still a bargain if you ask me.

I am in no way linked to berghaus and I doubt I will ever pay any more for a set of hardshell trousers now I have tried these (unless they change price obviously!).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...