UKC

40D goretex trousers more likely to rip/less warmth than 70D?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alps_p 13 Jan 2014
There are some good deals on North Face Kichatna bibs http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/men-39-s-kichatna-bib.html and the fit actually works quite well for me. My only concern is that the 40D Goretex fabric feels quite thin, even though the weight of these trousers isn't actually any less than e.g. Arcteryx Alpha SV or Theta SV.

Any advice? I'm buying these trousers for general skiing, and winter alpine (ice couloirs in Mt Blanc range), to be worn over thick baselayer, or baselayer + lightweight softshell combo.

GarethSL 13 Jan 2014
In reply to alps_p:

The TNF bib has a reinforced knee and seat in 80D, the Arc'teryx Beta AR pant has exactly the same setup. I've used those for 3 years, on ice, mixed and skiing without any worries for durability. In fact I have been incredibly impressed by how well the material has lasted, and touch wood... not a single hole anywhere... yet!

As for layering, I use nothing more than a merino base-layer under my trousers, have never needed any more even when climbing in temps down to -25 and ski-touring in -38. Though it depends on how you feel the cold. But the fit may not allow for heavy layering if they're athletic cut!
OP alps_p 13 Jan 2014
In reply to GrendeI:
thanks!
Yes the fit is quite tight, but I'm a think guy so this should be ok. I tried layering these over softshell trousers in the store and it was ok..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...