UKC

Nut sizes for Cairngorms?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 crayefish 13 Jan 2014
I wondering what nut sizes are more useful there? I can't remember for the life of me.

Only doing an easy route so don't want to take a full set of nuts/hexes so wondering whether I could drop a few from either end of the range.

Any thoughts?
 jimjimjim 13 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish: jesus h christ....I seen all the questions now. I hope ive just been successfully trolled.

OP crayefish 13 Jan 2014
In reply to jimjimjim:

Just one of those days I have lots to ask You'll have peace tomorrow.
 JohnnyW 14 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

Did four routes at the weekend, II, III and IV, and if I recall, I used big hexes and nuts, medium ones, and a couple of wee ones.....

Seriously though, I like having my tricams for the horizontals, and used them a good bit.
 CurlyStevo 14 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

Cairgorms tends to large ones but small nuts weigh hardly anything. Personally I'd chuck a set in, gives you more options in case routes are busy etc.
OP crayefish 14 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

Brilliant. Thanks. Looks like old clanky blue hex will be joining.

Yeah I've always been curious about tri cams. When I have money perhaps I'll try a couple of sizes.
 CurlyStevo 14 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

Sorry my comment was about nuts, certainly here you want a good selection of medium to large nuts. For hexes I'd probably take a couple of medium ones.
 BnB 14 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

I love my tricams. Far more secure than cams in icy cracks and sometimes nothing else will fit on rock. Slotted one in a shothole (yes, you read that right) on Saturday two thirds of the way up a grit VS on an otherwise blank slab. Easyish ground but 10m above gear makes for a bold mantel without that reassurance.
 CurlyStevo 14 Jan 2014
In reply to BnB:

The thing is as you progress above VS gear placement tends to be a lot less sedentary and tricams are pretty fiddly to place in extremis. I guess that's why you don't tend to see many people pushing E grades regularly carrying them.

I agree they are great in winter.
 BnB 14 Jan 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Agreed. I have a full set of cams and three duplicates in the common sizes. Just occasionally only a tricam with fit. But they are fiddly to place, requiring two hands.
 CurlyStevo 14 Jan 2014
In reply to BnB:

3 duplicates! You've got it bad (The magpie disease I mean)
 BnB 14 Jan 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

To clarify, only one duplicate in each of three sizes. They belong to a mate. He quit climbing and told me to make good use.
 CurlyStevo 14 Jan 2014
In reply to BnB:

Ahh got you... Similar set up to me then
OP crayefish 14 Jan 2014
In reply to BnB:

They require two hands? I heard they were fiddly but I would have thought that requiring two hands would limit their use not just to E grades but a bunch more as well, except on slabs of course.
 BnB 14 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

You CAN place with one hand, but two makes it easier. Sometimes you need to hold them in place with one hand while tugging to set with the other.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...