UKC

Recommend me a bothy bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BnB 14 Jan 2014
For years I've been carrying a foil blanket in the bottom of my rucksac. It's a redundant 250g which I never get any use out of and I reckon a bothy bag might actually give some practical benefit without weighing much more. Thinking of either a 2 person or 4 (to fit the whole family). Can 2 climbers stay as warm in a 4er as they will in a 2er? Main considerations are low weight, ease of repacking, weatherproofing.

Recommend away, guys...
 martinph78 14 Jan 2014
In reply to BnB:

They're all pretty much the same in my opinion (apart from teh Terra Nova Superlight Bothy, which is, well, light!).

I have a trekmates one, the MR team uses Aiguille, and if I wanted another I'd buy one of these: http://jdscomponents.co.uk/bothy%20offer.asp

A four person may be better for you as it would get more use, but obviously weigh more. If there's two of you in you can just pull it in closer/sit on the excess a bit more.

The other option, if you are bothered about weight, is two 2 person bags.

Far more useful than a foil blanket (which I don't carry) and don't think about them for emergencies only. They're good for lunch stops in poor weather if you can't find any shelter, and a good moral booster.

Welsh Kate 14 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

I've got the 4 man jds bothy and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it - good price and weight, in extremely spottable yellow!
 forcan 14 Jan 2014
In reply to BnB:
I've had a Terra Nova Bothy 4 for 15 years now, amazing how often it gets used for breaks, or just 5 minutes out of the weather!!! Never had to use it in an emergency though...

And yes, 2 in a 4-man is just as cosy, just tuck the excess under your bums. As to repacking, if it's wet or windy, I keep it in a side pocket of my rucksack, just stuff it in and out all day.
Post edited at 20:51
In reply to BnB:

I've got a JDS bothy bag surplus to requirements if you'd be interested in it? =o)
OP BnB 16 Jan 2014
In reply to highaltitudebarista:

I think I can afford a new one, cheers, but thanks for the offer. And thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. Plenty to look at.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...