UKC

Coast 2 Coast

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Carter 14 Jan 2014
I've done this previously, but over a weekend. I'm going to have a crack at it in one ride, anyone fancy it?
In reply to Richard Carter:

I am considering it for sometime this year but not sure when.

If you want a great, but easier 1 day coast to coast challenge it is exactly 100 miles from Bowness on Solway to Tynemouth following the hadrians wall cycle way. It's great route to cycle across the country in a day and if you have a good westerly wind (as I did last October) it isn't too tough.
 ThunderCat 14 Jan 2014
In reply to mountain.martin:

I did the hadrians cycleway route a couple of years ago over three days. That one starts at ravenglass, goes north to whitehave and then across to south shields. Are you doing whitehaven to south shields / sunderland?

Fair play in a single day!

I really enjoyed it when I did - doing it again this summer with a few chaps from work.
Tim Chappell 14 Jan 2014

There is a misspelling in your thread title
In reply to Richard Carter: sounds interesting. A fab route, hope you have fun !
 sebbo 14 Jan 2014

Having had a quick peek at your profile it looks like you're a keen cyclist so I doubt that you'll struggle with the c2c in a day. I did it with a friend Tim almost 2 years ago and really enjoyed it. I was in pretty good shape but as Tim was a really experienced cyclist with loads of long bike tours under his belt along with years of doing a 16mile daily commute I thought I'd best do a bit of training so as to not let the side down. I racked up a number of 40-70 & a few 80-100 mile rides in the 2 or 3 months leading up to it, but rested the week before. We bashed through the 160 miles from St Bees to Robin Hoods Bay no probs in the end, although Tim did have problems trying to refuel after about halfway so I hope that's not something you struggle with. Don't think it helped matters any that on the day I devoured multiple sandwiches, soreen, chocolate bars, fruit, flapjacks and even a fish supper.
We were lucky enough to have Tim's bro Sam meet us at 4 points throughout the day/journey and he had our gear, food & tools in the car so we were able to ride our road-rockets instead of our commuting/touring bikes and travel light which made a huge difference. On the down side we actually started the day from RHB as that's where Sam lives so we drove the full route in reverse before cycling it (with a 4:30am start) - seeing the distance we had to cover was quite intimidating.
FYI, and so you have something to aim for - the ride took us almost exactly 12 hours (about 10.5 hours saddle time).
Best of luck mate, let me know how you get on.
 Brass Nipples 14 Jan 2014

You could always do coast to coast to coast over a weekend if you're up for a challenge.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-226/

I'm doing this one.
 Andrew W 14 Jan 2014

I've been looking at doing this at some point in the summer, would be interesting to see if its possible to try in one day although probably two days would be more advisable.

http://tinyurl.com/c9hr9c
In reply to ThunderCat:

Good point, the full hadrians wall route does start at Ravenglass, but I only had one day available so just did the 100miles from Bowness to Tynemouth. which does take you from coast to coast and is a great ride.
In reply to Beat me to it!:

I've done it over a Saturday/Sunday before, just wanted to try it as a single ride. None of my cycling friends want to do it though, thought I'd post on here to find someone else to do it with. Doing it solo would be kind of boring I think.
In reply to ThunderCat:

Whitehaven to Tynemouth I'd do.
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Not really sure what you mean?
I should have put C2C I suppose, but it seemed a bit vague.
 ThunderCat 15 Jan 2014

> I've done it over a Saturday/Sunday before, just wanted to try it as a single ride. None of my cycling friends want to do it though, thought I'd post on here to find someone else to do it with. Doing it solo would be kind of boring I think.

Being a loner / miserable grumpy a*se type, I did the three day 176 mile version on my own. It was great. Alone with my thoughts and no one to bother me. Loved it.
In reply to sebbo:

Yeah I live on the East coast, so I'll have to blag a lift of a friend to the start on the morning.
 DJayB 15 Jan 2014
If you've not seen this already. Unfortunatley looks like entries closed for this year.

http://www.opencycling.com
Post edited at 08:46
 Andrew W 15 Jan 2014

I might be interested in doing it although I would need a while to get fit again.
In reply to dj_brigham05:

Yeah that would have been fun! Shame it's sold out.
In reply to Andrew W:

Well if you fancy it let me know, we can always organise something in the future.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...