UKC

Easyjet ski transport

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 superturbo 14 Jan 2014
£60 per flight for ski transport

Surely this is not right?P! Interested to hear from anyone that has recently gone through the ordeal
 DaveHK 14 Jan 2014
In reply to WillBroad:

£30 per ski bag per connection I thought. When paying online at time of booking.
OP superturbo 14 Jan 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

In that case - maybe it's because I'm trying to add on skis.
 mike123 14 Jan 2014
In reply to WillBroad:

i just paid £30 per flight , ie £60 return. outrageous since the actual flights were about £80 total. not much choice other than hiring , but i m willing to bet that to hire some decent skis , fritschi s and skins would be more than £60 for 9 days.
 mike123 14 Jan 2014
In reply to WillBroad:

how much would it cost you to cancel the flights and start again ? might save a bit ?
 Neil Williams 14 Jan 2014
In reply to mike123:
You won't. Provided it is done online and not at the airport, there is no discount for booking bags etc at the time of booking on easyJet. It's the same price whenever you do it so long as it is done online.

Neil
Post edited at 23:02
 Joe G 14 Jan 2014
In reply to WillBroad:

Yep, skis are about the same price as a person... only way to reduce the price would be to fit a couple of pairs of skis in one bag... I'm sure that's against their policy on ski carriage but I'd be interested if they have ever taken action against anyone for it.
 ed woods 15 Jan 2014
In reply to WillBroad:

You pay for a ski bag (up to 20kgs). I've always taken two pairs in a double roller with boots and other stuff to get money's worth. No probs with that from Easyjet.
James Jackson 15 Jan 2014
In reply to mike123:

Why is it outrageous? I'm pretty sure another carrier would work out rather more expensive.

I don't get this whole expected 'entitlement' to cheap stuff with budget carriers. It's all part of the price that needs factoring in when choosing a carrier.
 yorkshireman 15 Jan 2014
In reply to mike123:

> i just paid £30 per flight , ie £60 return. outrageous since the actual flights were about £80 total.

I think its more the fact that the flight is cheap. Ski bags are a fixed price, ticket price is based on airline yield management software to get the best price based on supply/demand, time of flight etc. There's no reason your ski carriage should be related to the cost of the ticket.

In reply to James Jackson:

> I don't get this whole expected 'entitlement' to cheap stuff with budget carriers. It's all part of the price that needs factoring in when choosing a carrier.

My in-laws make me laugh with this - they get a dirt cheap flight from Stansted to come out here to see us, then have to drive 150 miles and stay in a hotel the night before and fly at a filthy time, and spend all their time moaning about allocated baggage rules, when they could pay an extra £50 and fly BA from LHR which is a 45 minute drive away and has much better flight times plus better baggage rules.

M0nkey 15 Jan 2014
In reply to WillBroad:

I checked this with easyjet and they confirmed you can book your ski bag on as your ordinary bag which is considerably cheaper (provided your bag is within certain dimensions). This is more helpful i suppose if you use a snowboard style bag into which you can pack all your other gear.
 iangrim 18 Jan 2014
In reply to M0nkey:

If you live in the south, it's worth looking at Swiss Air. They fly to Geneva and Zurich and ski bags go free
 andy 18 Jan 2014
In reply to WillBroad: And EJ allow you to take a boot bag separately as part of the same "sports item", which is more than some other carriers allow you to do.

andy 18 Jan 2014
In reply to iangrim: Swiss fly Manchester Zurich as well I think.

In reply to Joe G:

I have a pretty spacious ski bag and have done 2 pairs of adult skis plus a kids pair, poles and a load of clothing packed around them all in one bag - no problem at check in as the person on the desk just sends you off to put the skis through at a different point and the people putting the skis on the conveyor are baggage handlers who don't seem interested. This was 4/5 years ago so don't know if it has changed.

If you could get away with wearing your ski boots or manage to fit them into a small case and you put on most of your clothing it could, in theory, be possible for 2 people to travel on hand luggage only plus one ski bag.
 sianabanana 18 Jan 2014
In reply to M0nkey:

This used to be the case, This is not true anymore. I have had this confirmed by easyjet.

You are allowed to take a big bag - snowboard bag etc as an ordinary bag, but if they suspect you are carrying the listed sports equipment in there they will ask to look in the bag. If so, you will have to pay at the airport.

Email from easyjet.....
Thank you for taking your time to contact easyJet. Please accept my apologies for delayed response.
Regarding your e-mail, please be informed that a difference between a long bag and a snowboard bag is told by the content of the bag. If you would like to carry a snowboard in a long snowboard bag, it must be identified as a sports equipment and relevant sports equipment fee needs to be applied.
However, if you would like to take a typical long snowboard bag that will not contain any sports equipment, you can easily take it as a regular piece of hold luggage as far as it is within required hold baggage dimensions.
Please be aware that the content of your snowboard bag will be checked at the airport and in case of detection of any inconsistency, you will need to pay airport fees which are far less economical than the online ones. In order to avoid any obstacles at the airport, please identify your luggage correctly.
I hope that you will find my explanation clear and helpful.
With best regards,

Magda
easyJet Customer Services
In reply to sianabanana:

Good of you to update this info.
What passengers also need to know is that no matter what the terms and conditions on easyjet's website say, easyjet will back the baggage handlers at check-in to whom they have subcontracted the service. These people can pretty much make it up as they go along. When I attempted to take a board bag through as hold luggage, before the above clarification, the check-in person charged me the sports equipment fee both ways on top of the hold baggage charge already paid so I found myself paying for 2 bags when I only had one. Fortunately I successfully disputed this through my credit card company but easyjet refused to ackowledge that the check-in staff were wrong.
Another point to note is that easyjet have reduced the sporting equipment allowance that up until a few months ago used to entitle passengers to take 32kg in a board bag: now it is only 20kg.
Frankly, I've had enough of the hassle & have found that 4 people in a car travelling to Europe even by the Portsmouth-Santander ferry is more environmentally friendly and much cheaper than easyjet now that they charge so much to carry skis. It also saves a fortune on car hire but then again I'm ski-touring not piste skiing at a resort.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...