UKC

Northwave shoe fit?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 15 Jan 2014
Anyone got Northwave shoes? I'm wanting some real-proper-no-messing winter shoes for Finnish autumn/winter riding, my lovely missus even promised to buy me some for Xmas after seeing my previously slightly-frostbitten toes go all white and hard from another cold ride in autumn!

Wiggle has some of the top of range Northwave winter ones on a bit of a sale - but of course I can't try them on. I have wide feet and often find it tricky to get well fitting shoes because of that. Anyone with Northwaves who think they tend to suit fat feet or skinny ones?

Cheers all.
 Nick Harvey 15 Jan 2014
In reply to TobyA: I have the winter things - quite old though and not really sure on foot shape stuff. But two points -
1. the flap over the laces velcroes (?) closed and the velcro ceased to be sticky quite quickly - very annying as that holds the laces inside and stops them from flapping
2. I bought mine in normal size, same as my other cycling shoes and they are too small really. Not noticably so straight away but now obvious. And as a consequence not nearly as warm as you'd expect.

So check the lacing / closing system and oversize is my advice.

OP TobyA 15 Jan 2014
In reply to Nick Harvey:

Cheers Nick. Yes, a tiny bit too tight just stops warm shoes from working at all. I'm getting a bit worried about my feet as I seem to be more prone to getting cold toes than in the past and, at worst, they go 'woody' which isn't a nice feel at all. Last Sunday I was climbing in my normal sportivas and got really cold toes (it was -10), so for once sensibly I actually took my boots off and wriggled my toes about, rubbed them a bit, all the sensible stuff - but most importantly I loosened the bottom laces of my boots off considerably. The rest of the day, no problem at all - nice and cosy. So fit without needing to crank up laces seems central.
 Hat Dude 15 Jan 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I've had some Northwave shoes for a couple of years; they are a fairly wide fit but the sizing is a bit small, more so than cycling shoes normally are.

I take a 43 in normal & running shoes; have had 44 in Shimano cycling shoes but needed a 45 in the Northwave which is a nice comfy fit.
 sleavesley 15 Jan 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Hi Toby

I have the winter road boots and also summer road shoes. They are both a size 42 of which I am in most other shoe/boot trainer etc.

The winter road boots I have are slightly bigger than the summer road shoe. Possibly so it can accomodate thicker socks.
I don't have particulary skinny feet and they are comfortable.

The draw string velcro to do them up, isn't the best in all fairness, but I have had no problem with wet feet when wearing them in rain.
I would probably opt for a two pairs of socks when its really cold, one being a thinner pair then a thicker over that.
If you want any more info just post and I will have a look at measure when I get home if you think that may help?

Mine were last years too.

As a contrast I also have DHB MTB boots in a 42 and the northwave are slightly more roomy. I also have some specialized carbon and they are sized small!!
 Nick Harvey 15 Jan 2014

Well, you probably remember i resorted to Scarpa Phantom 6000s cos of my cold feet.

If i was cycling in your kind of temperatures (in a normal year, i mean) I think i'd have to go with those power grip pedal straps and winter boots. And that's from someone who swears by SPDs and rides a fixie.
Post edited at 12:37
OP TobyA 15 Jan 2014
In reply to sleavesley:

Thanks all for the useful info- unfortunately now I look again and they've sold out of what I thought might be my size. Oh, well - I'll know if I see them again at good price!
 LastBoyScout 15 Jan 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I tried a few pairs on in a shop and found them extremely wide for my feet - no ankle grip at all and my forefoot just slopped around.

That was some time ago, though - no idea if they've changed the last since then.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...