UKC

La Sportiva Evo v Extreme

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
timoxo 15 Jan 2014
I realise that the La Sportiva Evo boot is their latest model, lighter with Gortex for breathability etc, but have read that the classic Extreme model is warmer for Alpine summer and Scottish winter use. Anyone have any comments or experience about this question?
Thanks,
Tim
 Mountain Llama 15 Jan 2014
In reply to timoxo: Hi Tim

Slightly confused which boots you mean, have a look hear and confirm http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/mountain

I have worn the Nepal evo gtx, trango extreme evo and the trango s evo.

Cheers Davey
 gear boy 15 Jan 2014
In reply to timoxo:

Nepal Evo and Extreme fit differently

go with fit

p.s. gore-tex is never put in a boot for breathability, its put in so you can be like a child and splash in puddles.....

both would be warm enough for most people for scottish and alpine, with the correct fit and socks
timoxo 15 Jan 2014
In reply to Mountain Llama:

Sorry Davey, I meant the Nepals. I suffer from cold feet, and something tells me I should go for the Extremes as I'm not convinced the Evos are warmer.
Cheers, Tim
timoxo 15 Jan 2014
In reply to gear boy:

Thanks for the thoughts gear boy. One complaint I've seen about the Evo is that when damp they take ages to dry out. Surely Gore-tex is partly there for breathability and partly for waterproofing (to make lighter than the all-leather Extremes), but I'm not seeing much advantage other than weight, with cons being price, potentially less warmth in extreme cold, and dampness.
Tim
 Mountain Llama 15 Jan 2014
In reply to timoxo: Hi Tim

I have worn the trango extremes for the last 4 years for summer alps and Scots winter. They are good boots, lite and they climb well plus comy for the walk in. I run hot so they were ok for me. I have felt cold the odd time, ie mt blanc and belays where spindrift was accumulating. Plus they will not last as long as the nepals, I got 4 years from mine.

I have just swapped to Nepal gtx and my initial findings are that they are warmer, ok for walkin and climb well. They are slightly heavier but my gut feeling says I am going to get along fine with them.

HTH Davey
 nufkin 15 Jan 2014
In reply to timoxo:

> I'm not seeing much advantage other than weight

The Nepal Evos are easier to walk in as well, and have (or used to, at least) the Duratherm goretex, which is/was more insulative than the regular goretex and is probably why the Evos are thought of as warmer. Don't suppose there'd be much in it, though - if you really suffer, you're probably better with the Baturas, or maybe something like the Phantom Guides
timoxo 15 Jan 2014
In reply to nufkin:

I heard the extra removable tongue can rub a bit too. Anyway, maybe I'm being picky, I'll have a think, and perhaps toss a coin! After all, Balmat and Paccard climbed Mont Blanc in hob-nailed boots..
Thanks,
Tim
 gear boy 16 Jan 2014
In reply to timoxo:

reason Evo or any gore-tex boot takes longer to dry out is the gore tex

breathability, if gore-tex wasnt in the boot it would be more breathable

main point stands, buy on fit, and if Sportiva options dont fit then look at others
 gear boy 16 Jan 2014
In reply to timoxo:

Nepal evo and Extreme have moveable tongues so no real difference, the one in the extreme is thicker
 simonzxr 16 Jan 2014
In reply to timoxo

I have the Evo's but also tried on the non gortex extremes model. The fit is definitely different as I had a lot of heal lift in the extremes but the Evo's fit perfectly. I have quite a low volume foot. For summer Alpine and Winter Scottish either will be more than sufficient if you have a good thick pair of marino socks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...