UKC

True North-Kearvaig Bothy- Blog post

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Burns 16 Jan 2014
This far North, in January, it never really gets light. I can see the sun peeping over the tops of the hills that mark the horizon, but it’s so low it could be being wheeled over the hills in a wheelbarrow. It’s even bright, I have to squint to look into the sun, but even so, at mid-day, the light on the landscape has an evening feel to it as if dusk is only minutes away. The sun gives no heat only a flat insipid light that tones down the colours of the grass and the outlines of the hills. I’m on the tarmac road that leads over the hill from the Kyle of Durness to Cape Wrath. Technically this is a public road but it is cracked and pot holed and single track as it rolls it way across the moor. I think this little road can justifiably claim to be one of the remotest in Britain. It doesn’t connect to any other road and only runs from the jetty that connects this place with civilisation, some elven miles, to the lighthouse at the end of mainland Britain. Orkney and Shetland are further North and to the East of Scotland the land can boast being a few degrees closer to the pole but this place beats all of those for its remoteness, the grandeur of its scenery and the drama of its position as it head buts its way out into the Atlantic Ocean. This is the true North.

Ever since I can remember I’ve had a fascination with travelling North. In my imagination the Northern lands were places of wilderness, wild weather and even wilder men.

Read more here http://johndburns.wordpress.com/2014/01/15/true-north/
In reply to John Burns:

Nice story, cheers.

I stayed at Kearvaig a few years back after walking up from Ullapool. A bay, a bothy, a number of coves and a shipwreck. What an amazing place.
 thedatastream 16 Jan 2014
In reply to John Burns:
Good tale, cheers John. I'm going to have to try whisky in a bothy now.
Post edited at 09:07
 danm 16 Jan 2014
In reply to John Burns:

This place must be mystical if they measure distance in "elven miles" then

I've already got my coat, thanks
 pneame 16 Jan 2014
In reply to John Burns:

What an absolutely stunning place.
 mcdweeb 16 Jan 2014
In reply to John Burns:
the phone number for the bombing alert on the nearby range at the end of the article is very useful for future reference.
I don't know why they make this so darn hard to find this info, I have driven up there only to find the whole of the peninsula is out of bounds when I got there, very frustrating indeed and tempting to just ignore. Very glad I didn't when I saw whole hillsides go up in flames and smoke from time to time!
OP John Burns 16 Jan 2014
In reply to John Burns:

Thanks for the comments. The phone number did take a bit of tracking down, you would think the MOD would be keen to get as much info out as possible but they don't make it easy right now. RAF Tain were really helpful though.

I see the curse of the typo goblins has struck again. I've heard there is a great we bothy in Mordor, must go there, it's a long way though, especially if you're an Elf.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...