UKC

Scarpa Phantom Guides

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 16 Jan 2014
I am interested in getting a pair, I have been properly fitted and they feel really good.

BUT,

I would initially be using them over the next year or two for Scottish winter and summer Alpine routes with the longer term plan to go to Peru and Bolivia in 2016 and going up to between 5000m and 6000m.

Is this overkill or a good choice?

AT
 Mountain Llama 16 Jan 2014
In reply to An Triubhas:

I have used lite weight winter boots for through last 8 years or so but not the integral gaitor type. On average they last 3 years but they are lighter and climb well but expensive. So check out the longevity.

Once wet, integral gaitor boots will be harder to dry out so may be a factor for a multi day climbs in the greater ranges.

Davey
 Slarti B 17 Jan 2014
In reply to An Triubhas:

I got some Phantom guides last year for Ice climbing and they were great. Have also used them for mountain walking and even a couple of walks recently on the South Downs (am recovering from an ankle op and needed good support plus checking they were still OK with ankle) they were fine.
Can't comment on high altitudes but I am looking forward to using them on annual Alps trip this year.

I have broad feet and they work well for me. They are lighter and more comfortable than my old Scarpa Manta's. Only issue is cost; I was lucky to get mine at a massive undersell. Can highly recommend them.
 crayefish 17 Jan 2014
In reply to An Triubhas:

I have the ultras (very similar) and they're brilliant. Even in the coldest wettest weather Scotland can throw at it they're super toasty. Plus they are very waterproof and the integral gaiter is a godsend and one less thing to carry.

Unlike other boots I've used, they don't seem to freeze solid so even in minus 20 they don't need to be left in your sleeping bag... they slip on well and warm up quickly.

Given the difference of a hundred and something quid over a pair of Mantas say, I think they are worth the cost even if only for Scotland. Hands can be warmed up in your jacket but cold feet are a disaster so why risk.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...