UKC

Zamberlan Fitzroy GTX - Any good for Scottish winter walking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RagingSphere 20 Jan 2014
I've been looking for a decent fitting pair of B2 boots for a couple of weeks and I've found the Zamberlan Fitzroy fits really well with a thick wool sock but they seem really flexible and extremely lightweight which is making me paranoid.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of using them for Scottish Winter? Walking rather than climbing really. Maybe the odd overnight trip in them?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Mark
OP RagingSphere 21 Jan 2014
In reply to monkeymark:

Bump
In reply to monkeymark:

Spec-wise they look the part, never used these specifically, but the Vibram Mulaz sole unit is quality.

Personally, I've taken a step back from fabric/hybrid/GTX-reliant boots, especially when paired with 'to-the-toe' type lacing which, when walking and over time, I find exposes a 'flex-point' on the boot and GTX membrane which eventually breaks and gives in allowing water ingress. If this occurs, which it inevitably does, and you find yourself standing around/walking in ankle-deep snow, you're going to end up somewhat soggy! One piece leather is the way to go IME.
In reply to SidharthaDongre:

That's exactly my main concern, I've gone through a pair of fabric/goretex B1s in a little over a year when the pinch point broke down.

I've currently got a pair of Asolo Sherpas which have done me well for 3 years but my arches have collapsed and my toes now graze the ends hence my hunt for new boots. I may just go a size up in the Sherpas and be done with it.

Mark
In reply to monkeymark:

Aye the Sherpa's are a good boot, my other half has them.

Have you seen someone about your arches? Maybe you could get some custom insoles to help?
 Gadameer 21 Jan 2014
In reply to monkeymark:

If your sherpas are still in good nick you could try using an orthotic insole instead of the floppy bit of foam they come with as standard. This should help limit foot elongation as well as propping your arch up.

If you go for a super feet product and it doesn't do the trick you can get your money back under their 2 month guarantee scheme.

Gus
In reply to Gadameer:

I've tried the supports, super feet green and some custom ones from a podiatrist. The super feet don't provide enough additional support and the custom ones are crippling in the Sherpas. In everything else they are fine but they just don't go with the Sherpas.

What it does mean is I might be putting up a pair of size 9 boots for sale on here soon.

Mark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...