UKC

Glen Brittle to Loch Coruisk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Deepdale 21 Jan 2014
Hi,
We're on Skye in May and fancy a wild camp around Loch Coruisk. We've walked to it in the past from Sligachan and also over Bealach na Glaic Moire. Just wondering what the path/route is like from Glen Brittle around the base of Gars-bheinn and how mad is the Mad Burn when it's not very mad? We'll probably return over Bealach a Garbh-choire and down the Sgumain Stone Chute. Any tips/info would be very welcome. Thanks in anticipation
 Tom Last 21 Jan 2014
 london_huddy 21 Jan 2014
 Tom Last 21 Jan 2014
In reply to london_huddy:

Great pic Andrew. What a place!
In reply to Deepdale:

All routes from Glen Brittle to Loch Coruisk are awful, (very long, arduous, and technically demanding, and with v tricksy route-finding), except perhaps the Banachdich one, but that is a VERY long and arduous slog. The 'coaat path' route (well a lot of it's a long way above the coast, without any kind of path) is the sort of thing most climbers will only do once in their lives. Some of the other routes on either side of the Dubhs Ridge are equally ghastly, but with an admix of terror. That's my memory, anyway. And don't even think of that one between SMC and An Stac unless your character is in very serious need of development … )
ccmm 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I once bailed off the Dubhs Ridge by descending the coire north of the bealach after the big abseil. It wasn't pleasant and not helped by the Skye deluge. Slabs running as waterfalls, double rope abseils and teetery sketchiness.

Best way to Coruisk is by taking the RIB from Elgol.
 jlury 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Deepdale:

I would say the coastal route is not as bad as Grodon suggests, but agree it is still hard work. have done it twice, the final descent to coruisk is very beautiful if you can see where you are going (!) and threads an interesting way through the slabs on grassy paths. the SMC scrambles book has a good description - the usual route is to follow the path from the csampsite past coire a ghrunnda then pick up a broad boggy shelf approx 3 or 400m above the sea then aftr youve turned northwards you need to find a way down to the beach just before the hut. fidning the route down through the slabs could be tricky in mist. i think its a really good contrast to the routes across the ridge and therefore makes for a varied backpacking trip. did it with my kids followed by return over bealach na glaic mor - blew their minds!
hope you enjoy it
Jon
ps did descent from basteir tooth into Lota corrie with kids this year, and that is totally wild and quite challenging...
llechwedd 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Craig Mc:
> Best way to Coruisk is by taking the RIB from Elgol.

Easiest and most straightforward doesn't always equal best.

It's worth getting hold of the Noel Williams/SMC guidebook 'Skye Scrambles'
P144-5 gives a followable route description of the coast path Gordon S. refers to.

(Tried editing a moment ago but revision not showing so resubmitted )
Post edited at 20:07
Deepdale 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Deepdale:

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...