UKC

New hardtail

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bob 22 Jan 2014
I'm looking at a new hardtail (already have a full-sus). I'd quite like to build it up from scratch but if there's a ready built model then that's fine. General usage is for open natural trails and getting in to remote Munros.

What I'd like:

650b or 29er wheels probably tubeless
1 x 10 drivetrain
adjustable seat post

I've thought of using the On-One Inbred 456 frame so any thoughts on that would be nice.
 Ally Smith 22 Jan 2014
In reply to Bob:

Cotic Soul is lighter and has more "feel" over the 456 in my opinion.
26" version is a bargain at £375 at the moment too.
T_Mac 22 Jan 2014
In reply to Bob:

My experience of On One isn't great. I used to work in a bike shop and we would often see badly welded and out of line frames from them. This was 2005/2006 so probably well out of date as I'm sure the production has improved since then.

The Genesis High Latitude that I mentioned in the other threae isn't a bad full build and they're super playful to ride....
Also, Ragley Blue Pig, Dialled PA, Cotic Soul, I haven't checked their websites but I'd imagine they will all do alternative wheel sizes in those models.....
 Dangerous Dave 22 Jan 2014
In reply to Bob:

I would go 29'r for sure. Check out the Cotic Solaris or the Ragley Pig (something)
 Horse 22 Jan 2014
In reply to Bob:

Have a look at the Cotic Soul, you can do it as frame, rolling chassis or full build.

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/soul

Also Stanton Slackline

http://www.stantonbikes.com/bikes

If you fancy something a bit different have a look here:

http://www.production-privee.com/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=11265930

Although it might be a bit to gravity focused for what you want.
OP Bob 22 Jan 2014
In reply to T_Mac:

I've an On-One Pompetamine with Alfine hub as a commuter bike and while it's reliable it's not exactly a lively ride. Fine for commuting and touring though. I got it in 2012 and there was a click in the bottom bracket, turned out to be a swarf of metal about the size of a squashed grain of rice!

The manager of one of the LBSs has one of last year's high latitudes and says he'll lend it to me for a trial, there's a good write up in the latest MBR for the current Latitude.

I think Cotic Soul is 26" only; the Dialled PA will have a 29er version soon. Looks like the Cotic Solaris is their 29er.
T_Mac 22 Jan 2014
In reply to Bob:

I had forgotten about the Solaris, they've been making that for years -ahead of the curve!!
If you've got the inclination to build, I'd do that, its way more satisfying and you can go as mad as you want to on whatever you want to!
Def get a ride on the High Lat, I really enjoyed the one I tested last year.
I am a sucker for steel though.....
OP Bob 22 Jan 2014
In reply to T_Mac:

Looking at some builds (based on Solaris) on Singletrack and one was costed out at £3200!! That's as much as my wife's full-sus Juliana Furtado

This will all be later in the year as I'm not even outside on the road bike yet (had a full hip replacement 8 weeks ago) - I'm doing turbo sessions and hope to get out on the road by Feb. Maybe get the frame and slowly add the components ...
T_Mac 22 Jan 2014
In reply to Bob:

£3200 is a lot for a hardtail I'll grant you that! Its easy to start getting carried away with bling! I'm a firm believer that mtb components should be strong and reliable which usually means I go for mid range as the price versus what you get ratio is best....anyway, good luck with the new hip and I hope the new build gets you out shredding sooner rather than later!
 the power 22 Jan 2014
In reply to Bob:

cotic are just about to be made in Sheffield
 Horse 22 Jan 2014
In reply to the power:

Only the Rocket and any other drop link sussers they make.
 LP 22 Jan 2014
In reply to Bob:

+1 for the soul. I got my frame from here http://www.backontrack-bikes.com/home.html for £300 as they often have ex-display stuff in but wouldn't sniff at £375 as that is a good price.
 aldo56 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Bob:

Check out Dialled Bikes and also Ragley if your after steel. I've got a Dialled Price Albert and it's absolutely brilliant. Heard good things about the Ragley Blue Pig too, plus they're both a bit cheaper than the Cotics.
 quirky 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Bob:

I have an inbred 29er, run an 8 speed alfin hub. Love it! Use it for so many things, Hans dampf tyres for rough stuff and cyclocross tyres for commuting, cross country...general cycling. Great frame, springy steel and pretty bomb proof. Mine gets plenty of hammer (will go down almost anything my full suss can) and still as good as new!
OP Bob 26 Jan 2014
In reply to T_Mac:

After a bit of looking around I've added the Kinesis ff29 and possibly the Zealous Division (though that's a press-fit BB) to the mix. There's a Linskey MT 29 as well, though that's a grand by itself.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...