UKC

Mountaineering skills / techniques books

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ramblin dave 24 Jan 2014
Hi all!

I'm considering getting a book about mountaineering skills and techniques - I'd like to have something to remind me of stuff that I might have forgotten, to get an idea of how much stuff I don't know about stuff I don't know about (ie proper alpine mountaineering), and to lend to people who I'm about to drag off to places to give them an idea of what's involved in winter walking, multipitch trad etc.

So topics covered would be as much as possible up to and including alpine mountaineering and alpine rock routes.

I know Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills is meant to be good. Is there anything else worth looking at?
 martinph78 24 Jan 2014
In reply to Ramblin dave:

I keep saying it, but the mountaineering handbook by Craig Connally is a great book. It makes you think, or reminds you, about traveling light and keeping things simple.

OP Ramblin dave 27 Jan 2014

Thanks!

Any further thoughts?

To be honest, I might just end up doing the Proper Bookshop thing and going and having a look...
 peebles boy 27 Jan 2014

Scotlands winter mountains by Martin Moran - not just a skills based book, but also lots of info about the how and the what that make up our winter, as well as historical overview. Good book to "read" as opposed to just learn from!!
altirando 27 Jan 2014

How about Climbing Ice by Chouinard? Might be some used copies for sale. Gives you the basics of alpine mountaineering.
 crayefish 27 Jan 2014

Don't buy anything by Peter Cliff... apparently a good guide but frankly his books are terrible with some very dangerous advice!
 angry pirate 28 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

Really? I've got his mountain navigation book which I thought was excellent (and his name somewhat apt) but I've not encountered his other stuff.
I'd second the Moran recommendation. Full of useful info about all aspects of mountaineering rather than ropework etc.
 crayefish 28 Jan 2014
In reply to angry pirate:

Not read that one but everyone I know who has hates it. One guide once told me he was the worst thing for navigation since a hidden pocket magnet.

I read his Alpinism book before I started climbing and even then I knew it was shit. For example... he advocates not trying a knot at the end of abseil ropes to 'save time'. Wtf? How long does it take to tie an overhand knot?
OP Ramblin dave 28 Jan 2014
In reply to neilwiltshire:

That and the Martin Moran book seem to be UK based and hence not have anything on (eg) glacier travel, though?
 neilwiltshire 28 Jan 2014

You're right, I just had a quick flick through and it doesn't cover glacier travel per say. It does cover roping up, taking on coils, ice axe arrest etc, but doesn't mention crevasses or how to winch someone out from one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...