UKC

Japan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mowglee 24 Jan 2014

I am thinking of visiting Japan as part of a longer trip to that part of the world. The cost of living there will probably limit us to a couple of weeks, and it'd be nice to get a bit of climbing in as well as visiting some of the more standard touristy places. I've read the article below, which partly makes me think it may not be worth bothering with the climbing (we'll be going to Thailand after). Not too interested in bouldering, and won't have pads or a tent.

Has anyone been, and can you suggest if it's worth trying to squeeze in five days or so sport climbing, or would we be better off spending our time exploring the country and culture? I doubt we'll ever get the opportunity to go again, at least within the next 10 years!

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=264

Thanks!
Post edited at 13:04
 dgbryan 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Mowglee:

I have really only rock-climbed at Joyama, on the Hakone-Izu peninsula - nice place, nice enough climbing, certainly good for a couple or three days. Rained when in Ogawayama (November IIRC) so I never saw the rock, but all the indications were good, as was the hut.

On a slightly different note, the Japan Alps are excellent, summer & winter. One of the best treks I have ever done was Hakuba to Kamikochi in early October, about a week. A little bit of an insight into both the country & the culture.

Ice Solo, who posts up here occasionally, is locally resident & very knowledgable.

On a whole other note, for rock-climbing in NE Asia - Korea.

Damian

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...