UKC

Peak district

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 0153453 24 Jan 2014
Hi, looking for some advice regarding the Peak District. Heading that way over the weekend, with the intention of visiting stanage, and awesome walls Sheffield over 2 days. With the weather looking like it is and going with the girlfriend I think the weather might be a problem. So any recommendations of any locations with climbs up to severe, or bolted up to grade 5ish? Or if a total failure of weather any recommendations of any decent places to just abseil? She mentioned she would enjoy that so a last resort. Failing all that 2 days at awesome walls. Thanks in advance!
 deacondeacon 24 Jan 2014
In reply to 0153453:

Do a search on here, this question comes up every week
From experience a surefire way to make sure your girlfriend loses all interest in climbing (i'm assuming your keener than her but obviously not always the case) is to make her endure a miserable, cold, wet weekend climbing in the Peak District.
If you are really set on coming and climbing indoors two days at Awesome walls may be a bit overkill. There are five main walls in Sheffield, with other smaller walls. I'd recommend a day at The Works.
 ByEek 24 Jan 2014
In reply to 0153453:

Tomorrow (Saturday) was predicted showery in last night's (Thursday) forecast with Sunday being a complete wash out. That said, the whole country was supposed to be under a deluge of rain today. As I type, it has yet to rain in Manchester. In other words - the forecast is rather unpredictable at the moment.

One thing worth bearing in mind is that it is very cold at the moment and the light breeze makes it feel bitter. There was also snow over the tops this morning. I would suggest that if the weather is nice, you go for a walk. I know your gf would appreciate that more than you desperately trying to indulge your abseiling enthusiasm as a desperate second best. Many a couple I have seen split up at a crag when an over-enthusiastic bloke tried to get his girlfriend to like climbing / climbing activities in less than ideal conditions.

Bulls Crack 24 Jan 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Are you saying Horseshoe Quarry won't be very pleasant?
 Skyfall 24 Jan 2014
In reply to 0153453:

Really just reinforcing what others have said but to add that the weather for this weekend looks about the same or worse than the last few where you just might get some dry rock if you're lucky. Sunday is pretty obviously going to be a wash out. Saturday will start cold and damp at very best (I've been twice recently on days forecast to be good and arrived to rain) due to overnight rain, so you may just have some dry rock by Sat pm if the rain holds off. Bearing in mind how flipping cold it can feel in damp conditions, I suspect it will be not a lot of fun for the g/f.
OP 0153453 24 Jan 2014
In reply to 0153453:

Thanks for the replies. We're driving through from Manchester anyway so might check out a few places if the weather isn't as bad as predicted, otherwise a choice of indoor walls. Also I think you may of mis understood, I'm hardly dragging her along with her nails done and high heels on, we do quite a lot of climbing and would be well prepared. I think it does look a tad wet though, cheers anyway guys.
 Bulls Crack 25 Jan 2014
In reply to 0153453:

You'll be going past the delights of New Mills Torrs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...