UKC

Skytec Argons - proofing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peebles boy 24 Jan 2014

Anyone who uses the Skytec Argons will know how good they are for the money they cost, but just wondering what (if anything?) people use to proof the non-rubberised backs to them?
As much as I love them, they're only one handful of water or really wet snow away from soaked hands...

Cheers,
Gordon
 gethin_allen 24 Jan 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

You could try a few coats of fabsil tent proofer. It's silicone based and should give some level of water resistance.
 Wee Davie 24 Jan 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

Duct tape would probably work. There's a version of these gloves that is fully rubberised apparently. Alternatively, only use them for leading and wear Big Ass Mitts (TM) for belaying. Your fingers will thank you.
 nickcj 25 Jan 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

For the price its worth getting a few pairs and swapping them once they get wet. They do take an age to dry though. I'd be worried my hands would sweat too much in fully rubberised ones and I'd get just as wet... So far I've been impressed and will be getting more.
In reply to peebles boy:

I think the fundamental problem is that the body of the glove is basically fibrepile, so has a very open structure. And, no matter how much proofing product you dunk it in, the gaps between the fibres will be so large that the proofing will not provide enough repellent force to hold the water out.

The plus side is that, as with all pile products, water drains out easily. Except in the bits covered in nitrile foam, which will remain filled with water...

What's really needed is a pile/pertex Argon, with a pertex shell on the exposed pile section...

I found some thin nitrile-coated work gloves the other day, with a knitted nylon body replacing the pile, and thinner nitrile coating... £2 in TKMaxx...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...