UKC

Hubba Hubba NX

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
freeradicalz 26 Jan 2014
I watched with interest the video detailing the Hubba Hubba NX lightweight tent. It looks perfect to replace my old wild camping tent. HOWEVER, I can't find a UK seller. Can anyone please
point me in the direction of any UK retailer selling this product?
Thanks
 SeanFda 26 Jan 2014
In reply to freeradicalz:

12 seconds on google later...

http://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/tents-spares/tents/msr-tents/msr-hubba-hubba-nx...

You are aware this a super lightweight summer "fastpacking" tent, and legally can't be called waterproof in this country??
Shearwater 27 Jan 2014
In reply to SeanFda:

> You are aware this a super lightweight summer "fastpacking" tent, and legally can't be called waterproof in this country??

How much does that actually matter, though? Unless you're facing sustained heavy rain and wind, it should do the job okay... and if you've taken the time to check the weather forecast, you shouldn't run into an unexpected storm.

I'd be looking elsewhere for a non-mesh inner tent and a decent spec shell though, especially if it was going to be my only tent. You could just get a nice tarp (or tarptent...) and have a better shelter!
 SeanFda 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Shearwater:

Personally I would like a shelter that's at least waterproof...
 DaveHK 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Shearwater:

> How much does that actually matter, though? Unless you're facing sustained heavy rain and wind, it should do the job okay... and if you've taken the time to check the weather forecast, you shouldn't run into an unexpected storm.

Snigger.
Cody 28 Jan 2014
In reply to SeanFda:

I had the old version of the Hubba which survived multiple Norwegian and Scottish trips without any problems; even waiting out multi-day rains on a few occasions.

Unless they made the NX less waterproof, then I don't see rain as a problem, only wind, in which case it's not the most sturdy tent around.

Livability wise, the Hubba Hubba design is great, and I'm actually thinking of picking one up to use when I travel with the GF and replace my Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 Platinum - which is a grim experience for two people in bad weather...
Shearwater 28 Jan 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

> Snigger.

Even in the UK, if you get an "unexpected" rainstorm, then you have done a pretty poor job of planning. Of the 20-odd nights I've spent camping in the recent past, spread over a bunch of single nights and weekend trips, I've avoided awful weather on every single one. It isn't rocket science.
In reply to freeradicalz:

For that price you could get a Scarp 2 and change!.
 Erik B 28 Jan 2014
In reply to freeradicalz: Ive got one, it is outstanding

SeanFda 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Cody:

I like the MSR tents, but, yeah, thats the point. The NX version is less waterproof...

There is:
the Hubba Hubba (standard tent)
the Hubba Hubba HP (slightly heavier duty outer, floor, and less mesh on the inner)
the Hubba Hubba NX (lighterweight fly, floor, and mostly mesh inner)
 Erik B 28 Jan 2014
In reply to SeanFda: less waterproof? your ahving a laugh right? it IS waterproof!

Jack B 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Shearwater:
> and if you've taken the time to check the weather forecast, you shouldn't run into an unexpected storm.

A few years ago, I had this:

Forecast: 17mph gusting 20. Light showers
Reality: 55mph gusting 75. Heavy horizontal rain

Fortunately Vaude were very generous and sent out replacement poles for free, when we returned the smashed set.

edit: having seen your later post, I can see a bit better where you're coming from. Yes, if you only ever go out for one or two nights, surprise bad weather will be pretty rare.
Post edited at 13:05
Shearwater 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Erik B:

> less waterproof? your ahving a laugh right? it IS waterproof!

Not by the legal definition of the term in the UK, no? I believe it has to have a hydrostatic head of 1500mm to qualify, which this tent does not.

In reply to Jack B:

> having seen your later post, I can see a bit better where you're coming from. Yes, if you only ever go out for one or two nights, surprise bad weather will be pretty rare.

Yeah, I guess we'd need the OP to clarify what he actually does, but a fair number of UK wildcampers are of the weekend sort so it seemed a safe assumption

My basic point was that the NX isn't fundamentally inappropriate for UK wildcamping just because of its material choice. Its just that there are plenty of better alternatives.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...