UKC

French off-piste conditions make BBC radio 2 news.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Ww 27 Jan 2014

That's a first as far as I know! Apparently 20 deaths already since Christmas sadly.

JW
In reply to John Ww:

Grim reading, but here's a chart of the averages for just Switzerland, from a proper source (hard to find for all of the alps). Not sure if this year, across the european alps, the average will be up or down. So cannot say if the deaths so far are 'high'. http://www.slf.ch/praevention/lawinenunfaelle/lawinenstatistik/Unfallgrafik...
 Cardi 28 Jan 2014
In reply to John Ww:

All doom and gloom, but just had 2 blue sky powder days in Meribel with an alright base in most places. Guides not particularly concerned about avalanche conditions.
craigloon 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Cardi:

Well, I would steer clear of steep north faces. The weak layer is right at the bottom of the snowpack, you won't see or feel it until it goes.
OP John Ww 29 Jan 2014
In reply to craigloon:

Seconded by my gf who's just come back from a week of touring in Austria - she said some of the snow pit sections they dug were f*cking scary, with the top layers barely attached to the base in places. You pays your money and you takes your chance.

JW
 Dave Searle 29 Jan 2014
In reply to John
Everyone is cancelling their ski holidays now. At least it will be quieter out here (not great for the local businesses I know) and those who do come and ski about of piste without the skills and right equipment might be a bit more cautious...
 BnB 30 Jan 2014
In reply to John Ww:

> Seconded by my gf who's just come back from a week of touring in Austria - she said some of the snow pit sections they dug were f*cking scary, with the top layers barely attached to the base in places. You pays your money and you takes your chance.

> JW

Thirded. Just back from Austria where snow pack was shearing off at the lightest provocation.
M0nkey 30 Jan 2014
In reply to BnB:

Fourthed. Was in the 3V last week and the snow pack off piste was incredibly variable with some really unstable sections from what I saw.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...