UKC

Vesuvius Summit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom G 27 Jan 2014

First off, this isn't strictly alpine climbing or anything and it certainly isn't an expedition, but I'm not sure where else to ask. I'm going to be passing through Pompeii in April and am thinking of nipping up the tourist trails just for the heck of it.

Has anyone from here been up?

Is it possible to hike all the way to the top of the crater, or do you have to stop at the lower part of the rim?
Post edited at 22:49
 pcummins60 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Tom G:
It was many years ago, but I recall walking up with a group of friends. Having parked the car somewhere near the base. We walked up a path, when we got to the rim I distinctly remember looking down into the caldera.

I suppose access will be dependent on the current active state of the volcano, but I wouldn't know where you could find this information.

Atvb
Paul
 pog100 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Tom G:

The main path from the car park, and the souvenir stalls, goes right to the rim. I think it is seldom if ever active enough to worry about. Dead as a door nail when we were there, but that was 10 years ago.
 alexcollins123 27 Jan 2014
In reply to Tom G:
We didn't have a car and so got a taxi up there ar great expense. We then paid something like 15 euro each to walk the last hundred metres or so to the crater edge, and were only allowed half way round! You had to hire a guide to go past the final souvenir shop (there are about 4 on the way up and around). This was about 9 months ago btw.

Fantastic views, but a boring mountain/volcano and super expensive! Pompei on the other hand, was really good, and Naples is fantastic to spend a day wandering around.
Post edited at 23:26
cb294 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Tom G:

Nice view of the crater, worth the hlaf hour walk from the parking lot and the money in good weather.

Herculaneum is even better than Pompeji, though, as the buildings were not flattened to same extent.

CB
 Trevers 28 Jan 2014
In reply to cb294:

> Nice view of the crater, worth the hlaf hour walk from the parking lot and the money in good weather.

> Herculaneum is even better than Pompeji, though, as the buildings were not flattened to same extent.

> CB

True although the Pompeii amphitheatre is spectacular and worth the visit alone
 TAG_UTLEY 28 Jan 2014
In reply to Tom G:

Was there in June last year on university fieldtrip, and you could walk right up to the crater rim. Great views over the bay of Naples, and if you are interested in that type of stuff, it's well worth it!

I second going to Herculaneum, less crowded and even more to see!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...