UKC

Climbing partner(s) for Malta (June 2014)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jedwio 29 Jan 2014
I am planning a trip to Malta in June. Anybody locally or internationally interested in joining me?

I am interested in climbing trad and sport, plenty of both to my understanding. Might even try some DWS too if the water is warm enough

Those that have been or are there, would appreciate: if you have any tips on gear I should bring with me, recommendations for sectors (especially during that time of year if it gets too hot).
In reply to jedwio:

In reply to jedwio:

> I am planning a trip to Malta in June....

> I am interested in climbing trad and sport, plenty of both to my understanding. Might even try some DWS too if the water is warm enough

> ?..any tips on gear ...

I have climbed there a fair bit. In terms of sectors do a quick search of the forums and all the good ones get a mention. It is worth pointing out that it is changing all the time.
Since the guidebook was published a few years ago, there are new sport crags on Gozo and Malta, plus loads of individual routes (trad and sport) being added all the time, so definitely worth getting in touch with the local climbers or even hiring a guide. I can recommend a good one.
June will be pretty warm, you will need to get up early to go trad climbing, otherwise the sea will be warm enough for DWS in the day. Gear wise, a full UK trad rack, geared towards limestone (more nuts than cams) plus some long thin slings and a "threader" to poke them into the numerous threads. Half ropes are good, if you baggage allowance allows.
Pack Sun cream and your spirit of adventure the DWS is amazing!! )

Simon Alden 04 Feb 2014
In reply to jedwio:

Hi allow me to add that we've just published a new sport climbing guide to the Maltese Islands which you might find useful. Us locals are usually quite pleased to hook up with visiting climbers but obviously I cant guarantee that there would be someone to join you every day. If you would like to hire a guide on the other hand we can recommend someone for sure. Just let me know. The DWS will be great If you're climbing trad a wire hook is a must and tricams are often very useful for pockets.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...