UKC

Cycling trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cfer 29 Jan 2014
I need to get out cycling BUT its cold, I need some trousers

I don't want tights, I have shorts and waterproof trousers, is this going to be sufficient?

If not can I get some trousers that are NOT tights but are waterproof and comfortable and warm?

Any recommendations/deals?

softlad 29 Jan 2014
In reply to cfer:

Years ago mountain bikers used to take a leaf out of courier's book and bought cheap waterproof trousers which they then cut off below the knee. It works well, if a little sweaty.

These days, there's lots of options. These are good:

http://www.endurasport.com/product-detail.asp?ProductID=105
OP cfer 29 Jan 2014
In reply to softlad:

Looking for something full length really but a decent alternative, thanks

Think full length waterproof wont be breathable enough though
 Darkskys 29 Jan 2014
In reply to cfer:

Pair of running leggings has seen me through the worst weather so far!
 zukator 29 Jan 2014
In reply to cfer
I have a pair of Craghoppers Kiwi Pro Stretch - they are excellent for winter riding. You can get a pair of knee pads on underneath them, they have an articulated knee so work very well on the bike and the stretch material dries quickly too. Buy the next size up waist size (so if 34" buy 36", but leg lengths are about right - regular seems right to me). If it's windy or especially wet you may need something to clip the right leg so that it doesn't catch on the chain. In the warmer months they are great for climbing too.
OP cfer 30 Jan 2014
In reply to cfer:

Thanks all, am tempted by the norrona ones....mainly as they are bright green!! bit of a hefty price tag though.

Will have a loot at the craghoppers as well as I had a jacket from them that lasted ages and was great
 Alun 30 Jan 2014
In reply to cfer:

May I ask what you have against tights? As a mountain biker (and a downhiller at that!) for many years I always wore baggy cycling trousers. Then I bought a road bike and with it a set of decent bib-tights, and it was a revelation. Not sure I'd wear them with my DH bike though, I'll confess.

Other than that, the Endura ones linked to above look very good, I have loads of Endura gear and it's a great balance between price and quality. For top the range you always have Gore with something like this:
http://www.wiggle.com/gore-bike-wear-fusion-20-windstopper-softshell-pants/
SethChili 30 Jan 2014
In reply to cfer:

For urban cycling I wear Levi cycle commuter jeans . Almost waterproof , stretchy and they have reflective tape on the turn ups at the ankle .
You will unfortunately end up looking like one of those fixie/hipster types , but I like being able to get off the bike and walk into the supermarket without getting too many funny looks . Lycra always feels a bit weird if I am not out on the open road .
OP cfer 30 Jan 2014
In reply to cfer:

Nothing against tights and have some already, its more being able to do normal stuff, ie cycle to a pub or family and not look like a twonk all day
 Bloodfire 30 Jan 2014
In reply to cfer:

I use Endura Hummvee full length trousers. These have a water repellency on them but are not waterproof. As it doesn't rain most of the time, they are excellent and really look good on and off the bike. They don't come with the inner shorts like the 3/4's do but are cheaper and can click-in the same shorts (no one ever does). It the weather gets really foul, I just throw on the waterproof trousers over the top.

Gore make one for around £100 which I think is waterproof (more softshell like), its probably warmer too but more than twice the price.

Bob 30 Jan 2014
In reply to cfer:

How about a pair of trousers that unzip the lower part? Wear a cycling liner underneath. When you get to your destination simply zip the lower bits back on.

Depending on how far you intend cycling you may not need the cycling liner, I wouldn't bother for distances under a couple of miles. If it's cold then maybe some cycling leg warmers. Might look a bit odd when you are on the bike but it's a flexible system and not too bulky.
 ByEek 30 Jan 2014
In reply to cfer:

I just wear a pair of general cheapo outdoor trousers and tuck them into my socks. I then have a pair of waterproof bottoms for very cold or wet days. That said, wet days simply mean cycling the folder to the train station.

£70+ for a pair of trousers that leave you with cold ankles seems a bit much to me.
 tlm 30 Jan 2014
In reply to cfer:

Your legs won't be cold if you are cycling!

I just wear normal work trousers, with waterproofs over the top in the rain or snow...

so I guess you could wear any outdoor type trousers you like...
 Ramblin dave 30 Jan 2014
In reply to cfer:

Have you considered wearing eg baggies over the tights? You'd probably still look a bit like a twonk but not as much as if you'd just worn the tights...
 wilkesley 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Ramblin dave:

I wear my Rab VR trousers in the winter, with legs tucked inside socks. Warm and I do't overheat in them. Shower proof and dry out quickly if wet. Look OK in the pub, unless they got covered in mud from the road
 tlm 30 Jan 2014

> Have you considered wearing eg baggies over the tights? You'd probably still look a bit like a twonk but not as much as if you'd just worn the tights...

What a great idea! In fact, you could then leave the tights off..... oh.
 Rubbishy 30 Jan 2014
In reply to cfer:

The new Showers Pass trollies ae pretty good, like a cycling version of Ron Hills- not overly tight, and they're waterproof

and 100 quid
 Ramblin dave 30 Jan 2014
In reply to tlm:

> What a great idea! In fact, you could then leave the tights off..... oh.

Then you'd get cold legs. Or consult rule #5.
 tlm 30 Jan 2014

> Then you'd get cold legs. Or consult rule #5.

You never get cold legs... just cold ears and hands.
 Bloodfire 06 Feb 2014
In reply to cfer:

Haglofs also make a pair of trousers that are remarkably smart and waterproof. I'm considering getting some so that you can actually wear them, even with shirt and tie. It all depends of if you have the facilities to shower and change too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...